Do you agree with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano The National Guard Is Not Needed At The Border?

Fearful of drug cartel violence spilling over from Mexico, border state governors have been lobbying for a reinstated National Guard presence, presumably with an ally in the Obama administration.

Who better than someone formerly in their ranks?

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, who was Arizona’s governor until January, had pleaded with the Bush administration for the same thing. She wanted soldiers kept on the border as a two-year program under which thousands of Guardsmen supported the Border Patrol wrapped up last July.

Napolitano strongly supported then-President George Bush’s launch of Operation Jump Start in 2006 and just a year ago tried to sway him and then-Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to keep troops deployed when it was ending.

Yet since becoming President Barack Obama’s domestic security chief, Napolitano has not publicly repeated that the Guard is still needed on the Mexican border, just that the matter is under review.

“The National Guard issue, without being state-specific, is under consideration,” she said Wednesday in Nogales, Ariz.

Earlier that day in El Paso, Texas, Alan Bersin, her newly named assistant secretary for international affairs and “border czar,” appeared to come down against deploying troops. Bersin noted that a law barring use of military to enforce U.S. law has served the country well.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/289305.ph...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Suze
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Obama has not yet made an effort to shut down occupation of Iraq and bring our troops home. He plans to deploy more military into Afghanistan.

I'm convinced there's only so many National Guard to go around and too few are left to protect our open southern border. Therefore Napolitano cannot stress the need for Guard presence when all previous administrations sanction Mexicans coming and going across our borders at will. Obama better get a crash course in American patriotism before he wakes up and finds himself second in command and taking orders from Felipe Calderon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Baaaa loney. They are playing with e-verify, they are extending the Real I.D. implementation time. They seem to be jerking us around as hard as they can.

Over 60% of the people want the illegal aliens deported. Some 23% feel they want them deported in certain categories. About 17% don't want them deported.

Napolitano is flopping around like a fish on a bank. We need to know the Obama folks are going to enforce the Immigration Law until his revision are approved... or not. Alan Bersin may know something we don't know, but I think it would be very, very wise to tell us today.

i will say that when Alan suggested the military should not be used to defend the border, his vaunted intelligence just took a hard hit. But when he also suggests the National Guard cannot be used by the Governors to do as they want, he missed again. We may be in trouble.

• 1 decade ago

We need to secure our borders better. We have border patrol. They are short staffed from what I have read and so are doing a lot of recruiting. I don't think the national guard would be able to work in conjunction with the border patrol. What would work good is just increasing the patrol along the borders and arming them with the weapons, ammunition and vehicles surveillance equipment, etc. that they need to effectively secure the borders. This, of course, would cost money and require more training.

• jack w
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Our southern border needs to be secure. Whether its the National Guard or regular military units. Napolitano position is just another example of a politician not have any backbone. Why the Democrats want the country flooded with drug gangs and illegal aliens is beyond me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

What's she afraid of? That it has worked in the past and will continue to work?

Janet Napolitano is a flaming loon. She herself once called for military soldiers at the border when Bush was in office. Now that she's in Washington D.C. she's lost the rest of her marbles. Or were they knocked out of her for her to change her mind. Maybe the drug cartels have finally got her on their payroll.

• 1 decade ago

The law barring the use of military to enforce US law is about the use of military against US citizens, not against illegal immigrants from a foreign country. And make no mistake, Mexico is indeed a foreign country.

Napolitano has sold out, plain and simple.

• 1 decade ago

The guard is needed to discourage everything illegal from coming over, including people. I hesitate advocating it, but we really need an "iron curtain." That's a double row of high fencing with bounding mines between them.

I don't know how animals can move through unless there is special provision. We shouldn't block their migrations. We should block only grossly overpopulating people who impoverished their country with ever-cheaper labor and are now impoverishing ours.

• dlk
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No. She should be FIRED................she in fact will make this Country "less secure". I believe she is only following orders from above...............and following his agenda. I do believe our Government should let our Border Patrol DO THEIR JOBS, and let them SHOOT...............instead of prosecuting and listening to the Mexican Gov't when **** happens.

• 1 decade ago

She is dead wrong. If something is not done soon there will be much more trouble, violent trouble.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.