Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

do i have a termite swarm?

A few days ago i came home to winged bugs (which i beleive to be termites) all over my bedroom carpet. The basement under my room had thousands of black bugs (only a few had wings) crawling on the floor. They looked similar to ants but not not the same. I killed them all but came home today to the exact same problem. I thought termites died after their wings fell off? I was also told they only swarm once. My landlord didnt sound too worried and said just to set off a fogger in the basement. What should i do?

Favorite Answer

If they are termites, these fliers can be just vacuumed up. They are not real threat to you, but they are to the building and if lots are emerging from it then it may not be safe. This is a big worry if you live where there are storm winds or earthquakes.

You are right that termites cast off their wings, but only when they've found a place to nest (or are close to losing the game). If all the critters are moving together and only some have wings but all are black or at least dark, then you are likely looking at ants. (check the source ref below to see the differences).

Fogging won't do much for ants. The flights will be over in a few days.

If they are carpenter ants, then structural damage may be a problem, otherwise it is no big deal.

I'd still look at moving because you landlord seems to be a bit thick.

Source(s): How to tell termites from ants: http://drdons.net/biology
  • danner

Termite Wings Fall Off

• Bobbie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avUbZ

Termite inspection should never wait. It needs to be continuous! Termites swarm a couple of times a year. They are coming from an established colony and looking to establish a new one. While they are flying, notice their source. If they are coming from your house, you have termites. If they are coming from your neighbor's house, watch for their activities around your house. Inspect your home. Building codes are more effective against termites than any chemical can be. Make sure to have a minimum of 6" of concrete foundation exposed between the wood and the soil around your house. If you have concrete blocks, check for cap blocks and flashing at their top. Check all cracks for activity such as dirt trails that form as the termites move in. Termites are everywhere, but they can be controlled. Continuous inspection is the key. When you spot activity, come see me or any other Garden Pro at The Home Depot for the right chemical to snuff out termites. Imidacloprid and Bifenthrin are a couple of those.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

do i have a termite swarm?

A few days ago i came home to winged bugs (which i beleive to be termites) all over my bedroom carpet. The basement under my room had thousands of black bugs (only a few had wings) crawling on the floor. They looked similar to ants but not not the same. I killed them all but came home today to...

Source(s): termite swarm: https://biturl.im/k4LfM

You should look at several of the insects under a magnifying glass. Ants have a crook or elbow on their antennae, their fore wings are larger than the hind wings, and they have a constricted waist.

Termite antennae are minimally curved, and contain tiny bead like structures along their length. Fore and hind wings are about equal size, and there is no constriction in the body length.

It sure sounds like termites, but I do not know for sure. Since so much damage can be done by these pests, you definitely need to find out. I really don't know why your landlord wasn't more concerned.

• Dash

Just spray them or set off a fogger. If you landlord is not worried, then there is no reason for you to be worried. If they don't go away or you start seeing termite damage, then tell your landlord agian.

If they have a small head,kind of beige in color, it's termite,if they have a large head mostly likely flying ants,if you have a crawl space,go under the house and see if you have,small dirt tubes,anywhere if so you have termites.

Head for the mountains bro