If going to heaven is going to a "better place", why do christians not commit suicide en masse?

Help me out, my fuzzy-thinking christian friends. I hear frequently when a christian dies that he is now in a "better place", presumably because he's now in heaven. If being in heaven is being in a "better place" than alive on earth, why do christians not commit suicide en masse?

Favorite Answer

Better question, If everybody goes to heaven when they die what's the purpose of the Resurrection? why would God take you out of heaven (where you've been told that everybody goes when they are good and send you back to earth?

God put me here for a reason, and He will decide when it is time for me to come to Him. I would have it no other way. People saved by Christ want to do His will, and sharing the Gospel of Salvation with any who will listen is what we are to do. Who wouldn't want to share the Good News of Salvation with the rest of the world once they themselves have it. We can't help anyone else find Christ if we are in Heaven. Suicide is not the unforgivable sin, but it removes us from being able to share God's Word.

Suicide is a sin. Also, if you want to put yourself in the place of a Christian for a minute, when you become a Christian you are saved from an eternity in hell. You did nothing to deserve this, therefore out of gratitude, you feel obligated to stay and tell others about the great experience you just had and that others need to know so that they do not end up in hell.

• Jim W

We live for God. God is fully capable of taking us from this world when He deems it appropriate. Neither I nor you are supposed to hasten that process as His timing is always perfect.

Now, if we were self-centered individuals living only for ourselves and our own pleasures, you could make the case that we should. But, then, we wouldn't be Christians.

Suicide sends you to hell according to them. Even so, then they should be constantly, anxiously awaiting death. Just from a cause not of their own doing. The idea of an after-life really diminishes the enjoyment one can get out of the real world, our life is merely a stepping-stone, or a test for something greater. Something of no signifigance that should end as soon as possible so all can go to heaven.

Apocalyptic nuts.

Murder is a sin. Suicide is self-murder. Ergo, Christians committing suicide wouldn't be going to Heaven since they would be dying in sin; they would actually go to Hell. That's kinda the exact opposite of what we're going for here.

we are here to be a witness, and rushing off to heaven by self-murder is still MURDER.

when the last soul has been witnessed to, and the last Zion child has been added, us Christians will be out of here in a twinkling of an eye, ALL together, and ALL of a sudden.

thanks

im not christian im bahai but i think its a matter of we cant immagine how great it is would kind of be hard to kill ourselves without knowing how great it is i mean like bahais know that its great but it says that it is so great its undescribeable by writing or tongue so if you cant hear or read how great it is then you cant kill ur self ther was a story that baha u llah founder showed a man just a tiny part of heaven and the guy instantly killed himself and he also tells us respect urself so dont think killing ur self respecting urslef

Because suicide is considered a sin among Christians, so therefore if you commit suicide you don't go to this "better place". Instead you go to a place I like to call the "Slightly worse than where you are now" place.

Because killing is a sin, even if you kill yourself.

EDIT: The Cathollics are the only ones who believe (that I know of) that if you commit suicide you go to a place not as bad as Hell (it has a name, but I don't remember). I am Baptist, and don't believe commiting suicide will send you to Hell (or a less Hell).