Immigration to Canada?

Hello, in about a year my boyfriend will want to move from the USA to Ontario Canada (where I live). He will be staying with me and my parents. Would he need a reason such as school or work (or something else) to immigrate here? Is the reason that he just wants to be with me enough for Canada allow him to go through the process of becoming a legal Canadian citizen? Of course he would want to get a job but that is not the number one reason for him coming to Canada.

Anyway, know that he has to stay in Canada for a period of time (3 to about 5 years I believe) I also know he will need a Canadian VISA card (I think its that) so he would be able to live. But would that VISA allow him to get a job here and make a living on his own while he is here for that 3 to 5 year time wait? Also, would he have to stay in Canada and only in Ontario for that time or would he be able to travel back to the USA to see his family every once in a while?

One more thing...would everything be easier if we had a lawyer involved? Is there also a place in Ottawa where I can pick up the application forms for my boyfriend...or would he have to get them on his own or in the USA?

I have been on this site... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp ...but it makes no sense to me. It has a whole bunch a stuff that has nothing to do with our situation so it is no help.

If I have any extra questions...I will try to put them up. So if you can answer these questions for the time being that would be wonderful.

Favorite Answer

Would he need a reason such as school or work (or something else) to immigrate here?

YES

Since you are not married, he must apply for permission to live and work in Canada in his own - usually a study permit or a work permit.

Is the reason that he just wants to be with me enough for Canada allow him to go through the process of becoming a legal Canadian citizen?

If you were married then YES it would be enough. BUT since you are not married and have NOT lived together - CIC considers you both to NOT be committed to each other.

Of course he would want to get a job but that is not the number one reason for him coming to Canada.

Then MAKE it the number 1 reason or he wont get here anytime soon.

Anyway, I know that he has to stay in Canada for a period of time (3 to about 5 years I believe).

While he is waiting for PR status, while the application is being processed, he cannot leave Canada. This may take anywhere between 6 months to 2 years. (15 months seem to be the average from what I have heard for inside applications). ONLY After he is approved for PR status can he travel back across the border. He MUST be married to (or living more than 12 months with) a Canadian citizen to even be eligible to apply for PR status. And he must live in Canada for 3 years after he gets PR status, before he is eligible to apply for citizenship.

I also know he will need a Canadian VISA card (I think its that) so he would be able to live.

You mean a work permit or a study permit - but for the study permit, he MUST have his own money saved up, to support himself (rent, food, books, tuition fees, transportation, entertainment etc) while he is studying. He must show proof of this money to immigration AND show where he got this money from - it must be legally acquired. .

For the Work permit, he must have a qualification (usually a degree) and job esperience. It will also help if his job is in demand in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/app...

(list of jobs in demand in Canada)

He cannot be dependent on any canadian for this support, so he cannot use you and your family as a reference. BEcause you are not relatives. If he does that, then CIC will assume that he intends to marry someone in that family JUST to stay in Canada - so he will be denied entry. He can stay with anaunt/incle - no probelsm, but not total strangers.

He will NOT eligible for OHIP (health care) in Ontario while he is a student, and he is NOT eligible for any Canadian scholarships. He may apply for scholarships in his own state if he needs money. He must pay for all his health care and prescriptions if he requires medications.

But would that [VISA] PR status allow him to get a job here and make a living on his own while he is here for that 3 to 5 year time wait?

The work permit will allow him to live and work in Canadafor the two years necessary to qualify for PR status. The he would continue to work on the work permit while the PR application is being processed. Once he becomes a PR, he can live and work in Canada for the rest of his life. And he will not be using any work permit. He will be eligible to apply for citizenship exactly 3 years after he gets his PR status, provided he has NOT leaft Canada in all that time. every time he leaves Canada for vacations, that adds time to the eligible period for citizenship.

Also, would he have to stay in Canada and only in Ontario for that time or would he be able to travel back to the USA to see his family every once in a while?

while he is on a work permit and has a PR application in process, he needs to STAY in Ontario during this time.

AFTER he gets PR status he can travel across the border but he must have a valid current US passport to get into UAS, and he must have a current PR card to get back into Canada.

One more thing...would everything be easier if we had a lawyer involved?

NO - they just cost extra money and you are still doing all the work.

Is there also a place in Ottawa where I can pick up the application forms for my boyfriend...

NO - The forms are printed off the CIC website, but since you are not married (and have not lived together for 12 months) you CANNOT apply right now. If while he is working on a work permit (or studying on a study permit) you start living together, then after 12 months of common-law living, then you can apply for PR status for him.

BUT you must have real proof of the common-law relatiionship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spo...

This is the proof required of a common-law relationship.

Marriage is a lot easier - you just need the marriage certificate. CIC wants to see COMMITTMENT to each other.

This link below gives you the forms and guides you need - and details on how to fill them out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applicati...

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. I live in Toronto.

Source(s): PR in Canada - married to a Canadian - been in Canada for 8 years now - but only been a PR for 2 years.

Canadians cannot go through the process. It totally is dependent on why the person is trying to immigrate. It is different for everyone. Some are trying to get a better life. Some are terrorists and trying to get to the US through Canada. I would say that the reasons and responses are totally different for the two examples I gave.

Try this site, it's Government as well but more user friendly, below.

Your boyfriend needs to have a student visa and be in full time education, OR to apply for residence to get a permit to work and live in Canada. Without that permit, he cannot work or stay more than six months at the outside.

It takes one to two years to get permission for permanent residence. After that he can live anywhere in Canada, and leave for vacations while respecting a minimum presence in Canada.