Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

why wont my command prompt work?

when i click on the icon for command prompt it ask me if i want to run it. I click yes. After that the explorer bar and all my windows open will close and then after a few seconds they will appear again. But there's no command prompt in sight. Why wont it open. and im running on windows xp media center server pack 3

even when i made all those .bat files it still wont let me open command prompt. and in the mean time my computer is scanning for viruses.

• Astano
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like it runs and processes a command to killtask explorer.exe (The Desktop) and then it run explorer.exe again. Open notepad and write the following.

call C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe

Save it as a .bat file, make sure it isn't .bat.txt, then locate the file and run it, it should open cmd and allow you to type commands, otherwise type your commands into a notepad file as before and then save it as .bat and run.

http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm

Instead of running it from your short cut, try running it from the Start menu. If it still will NOT run, you most likely have a Virus. Update & run your Anti-Virus programs!

try this

Vista/XP Command Prompt Here 1.1

in the start menu, go to run, type in cmd.exe, hit enter

if that doesnt work, run notepad (to get to it, go to the start menu, all programs, accesories, notepad) type in

command.com

save it as whatever.bat, clik on it, and you'll have cmd