Kate.
Kate. asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

Sprained ankle- should I wear an ACE bandage (wrap) or a support brace?

I sprained/twisted my ankle on Wednesday night (2.5 days ago). Immediately after the injury I iced it and elevated it. I have to walk and move around, but I have been wearing an ankle support brace with bilateral support. Yesterday, I tried using an Ace bandage wrap, and it really made it feel better... what should I be wearing now???

well, i already have the wrap and the brace... and i don't want to seem like i am over-reacting!

but basically the brace provides support, but the wrap provides compression/pressure. so im not sure which i need right now... it is swollen on the outside of my ankle.

Favorite Answer

Whilst the ace-wrap does provide compression, you should only be using compression on a sprain for the first 24 - 48 hours, after that it's not going to do you any good.

I personally always suggest a proper ankle brace after 48 hours, but one that's right for the type of sprain you have, you might not have a lateral sprain, and if you don't, you don't need lateral support.

I suggest seeing a doctor, not for a prescription for pain meds, just for a diagnosis on the sprain, many people have walked around on broken or fractured ankles thinking they were sprained, it's more common than you think, but not a normal occurrence. Once your doctor tells you what kind of sprain you have you can then find the right support for you.

If you live in the UK, go to a physiotherapy warehouse, those guys are miracle workers when it comes to finding the right type of ankle brace for sprains, I swear to god my ankle has never felt as strong as it has when I'm wearing a brace from there, even before I snapped my Achilles.

If you live in the US, look for sports stores that stock ankle braces and supports and guys that can help you pick the right one for you, I'm sure there is a US equivalent of the physiotherapy warehouse if you look hard enough.

If it's still swollen, you shouldn't be walking on it, you should be resting it.

For the first 48 hours after a sprain use R.I.C.E. then M.E.A.T. this ehow article will explain how to use them to your advantage: http://www.ehow.com/how_4671118_strain-written-lic...

If after a week or so it's not better with self-help, you should seek medical assistance, the sprain could be worse than you think.

Source(s): A British Red Cross Registered first-aider and a trained L.I.V.E.S. first-responder

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I sprained/twisted my ankle on Wednesday night (2.5 days ago). Immediately after the injury I iced it and elevated it. I have to walk and move around, but I have been wearing an ankle support brace with bilateral support. Yesterday, I tried using an Ace bandage wrap, and it really made it feel...

Source(s): sprained ankle wear ace bandage wrap support brace: https://shortly.im/tvhud

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avZyo

PRINCE * Protection. Use a protective brace, such as a brace with a built-in air cushion or other form of ankle support, along with a compression wrap, such as an elastic ACE bandage, for the first 24 to 36 hours. * Rest. Use crutches until walking is not painful without them. * Ice. For the first 48 to 72 hours or until swelling goes down, apply an ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes every 1 to 2 hours during the day. After 48 hours, you can continue with ice or try contrast baths. There is not good scientific evidence that ice or contrast baths help, but they are often used. * NSAIDs or acetaminophen. Examples of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) include ibuprofen (such as Advil, Motrin, or Nuprin) and naproxen (such as Naprosyn). Common types of acetaminophen include Panadol or Tylenol. * Compression. An elastic compression wrap will help decrease swelling and should be worn for the first 24 to 36 hours. A protective brace should also be worn if you try to bear weight on your injured ankle. Don't apply the wrap too tightly. Loosen the bandage if it gets too tight. Signs that the bandage is too tight include numbness, tingling, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below the bandage. See instructions on how to wrap an ankle with an elastic bandage. Compression wraps do not offer protection, except by reminding you to be careful of your ankle. * Elevation. Raise your ankle above the level of your heart for 2 to 3 hours a day if possible to decrease swelling and bruising.

• hobin

Ace Bandage

Absolutely, any support is perfect for the foot because it hugs it, and keeps it in place so that pieces don't move around and cause more damage, or not heal properly. Both supports are great - however, personally, I prefer to us the support brace. The wrap is good and all, but the brace just gives more support.

God luck! Feel better =]

Source(s): Experience.

I badly sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago. I was in a hurry going down the stairs, lost my balance and landed on a bad side of my left foot, causing my left ankle to be stretched going on the inside. The first 48 hours were excruciating and the pain was un-believable. I've never had a serious ankle injury before.

So I immediately treated it using the RICE method. The following day, the bruising and swelling were so horrible. I found out that I got a second degree sprain and immediately panicked after that. I had a football game on that week and it been looking forward to it because I've been training for rt. I had teammates that had similar injuries and it took them months to fully recover, some of them stopped playing altogether. So I kinda had a short-term depression because I can't imagine myself not being able to run and play sports anymore.

Because I was so desperate to recover again, I contacted a lot of people that I know who do sports and asked them if they had similar injuries. One friend of mine, from the boy's football team in my university, told me about H.E.M. Ankle Rehab. I got a copy 4 days after I got injured. I immediately read and followed what was instructed and felt improvement on the first day. I was able to walk a bit, but I was in pain.

A couple of days after that, the swelling and bruising were subsid-ing significantly and on the fourth day, I was walking comfortably again. Although I've had felt a bit of stiffness, I continued doing what was instructed. My sister was surprised that I have recovered this fast. I told her about this book and was shocked on how effective the procedures were. I'm just so happy that this book was shared to me and how effective it is.

Heal your ankle fully & fast?

If the Ace wrap made you feel better, wear that until you go to the doctor. Remember, doctor knows best!

use a wrap you can buy it almost any were its cheap and if you were a brace then everyone will think your overreacting and will think your a baby.

Source(s): my self