Who else thinks Practising Hanon,and Czerny Exercises are a waste of time?

There are now two schools of thought: those who think that the practising Hanon exercises are helpful and those who think they are a waste of time.

Hanon makes some surprising claims in his introduction with no explanation or experimental evidence. This is exemplified in his title, "The Virtuoso Pianist, in 60 Exercises".

Many advanced Piano teachers have told me that This approach to acquiring technique is amateurish and would not work. However, most advanced pianists agree that Hanon is not for acquiring technique, but might be useful for warming up .

Hanon implies that the ability to play these exercises will ensure that you can play anything !

I have to say, I disagree with this statement.

What about you?

your thoughts and Opinions about this?

PLease Share your experinces!

• Ian E
    Best Answer

Hanon is careful to say, on several occasions, that the exercises he supplies will do wonders for the '3rd and 4th fingers of the hand'. In his subsequent book (entitled "The Virtuoso Pianist Revisited"), he supplies exercises that he claims will ensure amazing performance from the '3rd and 4th fingers of the foot'.

(ahem... This was a feeble attempt to make a joke..)

These unimaginative exercises

[i] predispose the player to certain fingerings that, on average, are unwise.

[ii] do little to help hands (and the owner of these hands, who he seems to ignore!) become used to doing different things simultaneously,

[iii] help to make keyboard practice unmusical and severely boring

[iv] reinforce the key of C Major to a ridiculous degree, and postpone familiarisation of the hands with black keys (Yes, I know he recommends transposition)

[v] do almost nothing to promote lovely tone.

These dreary exercises come from an era when most people thought that 'the fingers' were the crucial thing to 'develop' whilst studying the piano. The wrists, the forearms, the shoulders are barely dealt with in Hanon.

Hanon.... A good way to develop sound emulating a player piano...

Czerny wrote a book for 'advanced' players called "Forty Daily Studies" Many of these are only one bar long, and most are repeated for up to 40 times.

Yes, they are taxing.

Yes, they certainly are not musically exciting throughout.

But they are most helpful in the quest to rapidly develop a 'complete' keyboard technique, and they certainly do what Hanon only claims his funny exercises will do.

• maupin

Czerny Exercises

I've only been playing piano for about 12 months and I agree with Chang's opinion that Hanon exercises are harmful for many reasons.

http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.7.8 *

*This above article goes into great detail (some of which you've already covered) about why Hanon exercises are a waste of time, take a look

I started out on piano using Chuan Chang's book "Fundamentals Of Piano Practice" which you may or may not have already read (I found the book through someone's answer on Yahoo Answers in 2007!!!). So I have never even bothered with Hanon or Crenzy etc. And my teacher agrees.

I would add that, if a student wanted to do an exercise to solve a problem with his/her technique, s/he should *improvise* a short melody that practices the motion, because this is musical and meanwhile the student can play it with emotion musically.

Source(s): Fundamentals of Piano Practice by Chuan Chang, an excellent book which has always been available FREE online, you can find the pdf at www.sinerj.org/~loyer/PianoBook/piano-practice-a4-10pt.pdf

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hanon makes some surprising claims in his introduction with no explanation or experimental evidence. This is exemplified in his title, "The...

Source(s): thinks practising hanon czerny exercises waste time: https://tr.im/IH0Z2

I second the Chuan Chang book. According to my piano teacher, I'm one of his fastest students and I got that way by doing some of the techniques in the book before I ever read it. Now that I've read the book I'm going even faster.

Hanon and Czerny exercises are useful; when I was still doing them I only practiced them about 5 minutes a day but they still helped. The biggest thing Hanon helped me with was basic technique like keeping equal arm weight, playing with dynamics, working on my finger position, and other important but boring things like that. Because there's no artistic message in Hanon it's easy to futz with things like that.

I think we have to consider how much people practice Hanon. An hour of Hanon a day is pointless, but I think that if it's practiced in short bursts it's good for getting your fingers used to something new. I think what Hanon himself is saying is that if you learn the techniques presented in his book and you learn them well, you will be able to play anything because you'll have learned a lot of the hard technique already. All the weird finger movements won't be foreign to you because you will have worked on them before. Make sense now?

I can't say anything about Hanon for warming up, since I don't warm up for my lessons or practice and never have. When I played Hanon it was usually at the end of my practicing, because i thought it was pretty boring.

But it is terrible. I think that technique must be gained in 2 ways... Schumiszt wrote: "1) Scales, arpeggio... The theory of piano. 2) Practical applications... In pieces. Scales and arpeggios are the life and body of piano. You cannot be a virtuoso if you do not know these. Besides, if practiced correctly they are WAY more effective than Hannon. Plus, I honestly think a person can use more musicality with these than in Hannon. Scales and Arpeggios are beautiful really, and have plenty of room for passion in them. Something Hannon doesn't have." ... Plain nonsense. 1) Scales and arpeggios are INCLUDED in Hanon. 2) Scales and arpeggios are only two aspects of technique, apart from that there are trills/tremolos, octaves/chords/jumps, repetitions, etc. - YOU NAME IT. They're all included in Hanon, although you don't need Hanon to point them out to you. How exactly do "scales" have more musicality than "Hanon"? Do you mean the 5 finger exercises in Hanon? Played fast, they can sound just as "exciting" as a scale. Same with the other rudimentary stuff in that book. I don't get what you're talking about, I really don't. "After all, you play for hours without the expression and then you lose the expression." Not so sure about that, as expression comes from imagination and impression and that can be nurtured by fantasy (i.e. playing the music inside your head) or listening. Having built up technique to rely on doesn't take any expression from you, I don't think - except of course you don't play and think about anything else than Hanon :)

If you master part 3 of Hanon: all those scales, arpeggios, and complex combinations exerciases, it will go a long way to tackling much of what great composers composed for the piano.

I used to hate theses with a passion, and over time, have learned them, and then been able to conquer certain impossible techniques from many romantic eras compositions.

I am now a performing pianist...

There is there is no real substitute for learning the music itself, but without mastering the various regularly occurring techniques there can be no accomplishing the greatest peices.

That being said, learn Bach two part inventions no 1,2, 4 6 8 13, 14, a few Preludes and fugues from the well tempered clavier, some Haydn amd Mozart Sonatas especially Mozart A Major Sonata with the theme and variations, and late D Major Sonata, plus Beethoven's Waldstein and Appassionata Sonatas, then some Mendelssohn's Songs without Words, and his Rondo Capricioso, Fantasy in f Sharp Minor, At least two Chopin Ballads, and 2 Scherzos, plus a few Polonaises, and of course, his funeral March sonata, Liszt transcendental Etudes, some Ravel and Debussy, Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies no 2, 7 and 17, and if you do this without Hanon, you are a reincarnated genius.

One of the best sites for learning piano online is https://tr.im/howtoplaypiano

This is one of those rare sites that offers the most detailed, expert piano lessons for absolutely free. Just reading through the lessons, you get the sense that you’re sitting beside an actual piano teacher who really knows their stuff. Each session includes text, keyboard images to help you visualize what the teacher is talking about