Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is your preferred afterlife?

Personally, I would like to be reincarnated. It seems that eternal happiness without the ups and downs of life would be somewhat monotonous. I am an agnostic, but agree w/ some buddhist teachings.

Favorite Answer

Reincarnation.

But keep in mind that in Buddhism, reincarnation is not like what you imagined. Buddhism denies the existence of self----so reincarnation is not you becoming another entity, since there is no you in the first place. It's more like the dying candle flame lighting another.

• drP

Interesting question and I dare say that the answer depends a lot on your age.

Young people do not expect to die and as a result hold on to hopes of an extension of a spiritual kind or re-incarnation.

As one gets older, a permanent sleep gets more attractive.

Buddhism is more attractive than the conventional western beliefs and certainly pre-dates Christianity and Islam. It's survival I am sure is because of it's broad acceptance of all other religions. So, one can still be a buddhist and any other faith.

Basically, they believe that absolutely everything has a spirit,( or energy ). and that we should respect that spirit. Science shows that all matter does have an energy too. So in a naive way it embraces everything.

As for re-incarnation. Without full choice in the matter, it would be risky. There are a certainly a lot of places in the world I would not like to be re-born in. As for the future, that could be a scary thought too.

I think I will settle for eternal sleep as a personal choice.

Being reincarnated to me sounds weary. Do I really want to come back down here and have to live another life? It's kind of depressing, like the movie "Interview with the Vampire" is. You just don't get a rest. I was raised as a lax Presbyterian and I do believe in God. I think I should go to heaven and have a mansion like they say, and look perfect and have a really great wardrobe. I want to eat anything I like without gaining weight. I want to have a lot of friends and take art classes. Oh, and a lot of cats. In fact, I want all the pets I've ever had to be with me and just smother me with their love. And I would have the best dvd selection ever, for times when I am bored.

I've only really tried three so far. I'd like to have a bit more experience under my belt to give a more informed response.

Reincarnation as a well loved house cat for me, please! Love whenever you want it and not when you don't, sleep all day, eat when you want, and play when you want. No one cares what you look like, no one expects you to do anything, and you can totally ignore someone if they're calling your name. What's better than that? :)

Vampirism seems a good choice for me. There's quite a few people I know who need a good bite.

Sort of like asking what I hope Santa brings me. I just don't play that game any more.

• ?

Death... okay, I have to admit that was a bit blunt... I don't want an eternal afterlife.

Source(s): philosophical atheist

Burn in hell for all eternity.

Just joking. I don't know, something nice, comfortable and easy, with plenty of good friends.

Beer, beach side and beautiful women

Source(s): --It is the soldier, above all others, that prays for peace. For it is he that must bear the wounds and scars of war. - MacArthur --I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are nothing like your Christ - Gandhi.