Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

linebacker and quarterback physics question?

A 110kg linebacker running at 2.0m/s and an 82kg quarterback running at 3.0m/s have a head-on collision in midair. The linebacker grabs and holds onto the quarterback.

Who ends up moving forward after they collide?

The quarterback or the linebacker

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Without going through detailed calculation, the quarterback has the larger momentum: 246 kg-m/s as compared to the linebacker's 220.0 kg-mg/s.

Obviously, the quarterback ends moving forward after the collision, since he's got a larger momentum.

Hope this helps.

teddy boy

• 1 decade ago

I'm not going to tell you the answer, but I will tell you a little bit about the physics behind it, specifically the law of conservation of momentum.

Momentum =mass*velocity

When two objects collide, no momentum is lost. With that understanding, we can equate the momentums into a formula:

momentum1+momentum2= momentum3

momentum three represents the two linebackers holding onto eachother. you know their total mass, so all you have to solve for is their velocity.

Source(s): I am a mechanical engineer for a large company.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.