A big Question about Mormonism?

I’m not trying to be mean it’s just I don’t see how the book of Mormon could possibly be true. Which is why I’m looking to see if any one can answer my question.

According to Mormonism Jesus came to ancient America and the ancient Americans wrote a book about it. Then Joseph smith found it, read it and made the Mormon religion out of it. How do you write a book with no written language? In all the Americas there was no written language before the Europeans.

Even if they could have done this, how does Joseph Smith read an ancient language?

I think is suspicious that a man how was known for story telling and convicted for lying happened to find a book and then hide it when no one was looking.

I asked a doctor of philosophy at the local Mormon institute (I live near a university) and he just kind of started squirming and trying to change the topic. He seemed to be a fairly intelligent man, which made this seem odd to me. Latter day saints seem very confident in there beliefs so I’m assuming there’s an answer.

The "it was Hebrew" was almost a good answer. Problems are smith didn't say Hebrew he said "reformed Egyptian". Theoretically Moses was raised in Egyptian royally so there may have been a chance that he was literate (if he was real). That would explain why Hebrew maybe similar to Egyptian. There are three reasons that come to mind right away when they the Hebrews came to America, that it’s not likely to be true. One of the reasons Leif Erickson and later Christopher Columbus where able to make it to America is because ship technology was finally advanced enough. The ancient Israelites wouldn’t have had the technology to build a boat that could do that. For that reason the story of Noah raff doesn’t seem likely either. The second reason is the jet steam would have been directly in there path. The third reason is DNA testing. There’s no link at all between Native Americans and Israelites. This has been tested.

Striate up I find it very ironic that there’s a 25 dollar per family fee to see a rock with Hebrew letters on it. It made me want to go out back and carve one myself so I can charge people money to see it.

Another answer said I’m “a bit off” because Jesus didn’t write a book. I said that according to Mormonism Jesus came to America and the ancient Americans wrote a book about him. I never said Jesus wrote a book. And I’m just a bit off. Made me laugh. Considering that only scribes and royal officials where writing back then it seems odd that twelve fishermen would know how to write let alone a carpenter. Scribes back then worked for royal officials. So who ever wrote the bible was probably on a position to try to find new ways to govern people.

Native Americans also didn’t do any metal work. They used rocks at most. Gold want of any value to them, they couldn’t eat it and it wasn’t any good for weapon making.

Well I’m talking about a doctor of philosophy that works in the Mormon institute in twin falls Idaho. He prefers to go by Mac and has his doctrine on the wall. As far as basically implying that I lied I can’t prove or disprove it so believe what you will.

“He translated, with the help of scribes the heiroglyphs found on golden plates. He used the Urim and Thummin, and the help of God to translate it.”

No one saw the book but Joseph Smith that’s clear even to Mormons because it’s documented.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/~unsworth/mormon/jsconvicti...

(Joseph Smith’s 1826 court transcript; see Abanes, One Nation Under Gods, p. 501)

In which he was convicted for fraud.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/13644/dna-tests-co...

http://www.exmormon.org/

http://www.ericbarger.com/cgidna.htm

it looks to me like the mormon ship had hit an Iceberg of dna test results and sunk like a golden heavey golden book.

This seems off to me. But there’s one Mormon saying that everything in the bible happened in America and the America is actually Israel and then there’s others saying that the Israelites came to America. The story is getting flip flopped and contradicts it’s self. It seems obvious that some one ether doesn’t understand there religion or is flat out lying. The problem right away with America being “the original Israel” is that the book is “reformed Egyptian” that would have put the Israelites far from Egypt. Plus if mosses went from Egypt to “Israel” then he would have had a much longer journey and a few more seas to roll back.

The point on the ship making is that at that point of time ships where not technically advanced enough to make the journey to America. This is why it took so long to get to America in the first place. “They lived by the Mediterranean” is like saying I can build a ship because I live near water.

“B. the man who brought this court record to light actually STOLE them from the Bainbridge Co. courthouse, and had to be sued to get them back. This man was a blatant anti-Mormon and who knows what he might have done to those records while he had them?”

I’ve been looking and I don’t see any evidence for that at all. I can’t even find anything else that says it. You’ll need a good source to pass that.

So from what I’ve learned from investigating smith had “seer stones” which aloud him to magically translate the book. He would look into his hat and read from the plates. Please magical and miracle are two things that don’t cut the cake here. I’m not naive enough to think that the word miracle fixes all the bibles flaws.

“What book? YOu mean the plates?”

Right Sherlock. Sorry but that’s just obnoxious you know what were talking about.

Favorite Answer

Joseph Smith was hauled into court 3 times that we know of for defrauding his neighbors - and that was before he 'found' the Book of Mormon. His father in law was very disappointed to find his daughter Emma wanted to marry a man with Smith's reputation. Smith promised Mr Hale he would reform. Apparently that passes for a spotless reputation as a Mormon.

Smith claimed the Book of Mormon was written in 'Reformed Egyptian', a language no one has ever heard of. That would be a very odd choice for the Hebrews he claimed wrote the thing. Egypt was their sworn enemy, and they had their own language. Of course, anyone can read Hebrew. At the time he wrote it, the Rosetta stone information hadn't been published, so no one could read regular ancient Egyptian, much less his magical Reformed variety. Very convenient for him.

The Book of Mormon claims these literate Hebrews came here and kept written records of their vast civilization. The describe battles with millions of warriors using steel swords and chariots (none of which has ever been found here.)

In centuries of keeping these records, apparently no one thought to write anything else down, or teach people literacy. That seems unbelievable. Written language is just not something you have and don't use. It is far too valuable a tool for any culture.

There is a small amount of written language in the Mayan culture, but it is easily seen to be completely different from anything Hebrew or Egyptian.

Want to discuss how a book hundreds of pages long could have been condensed on golden plates that were of a size to be carried? They'd have weighed a ton. Each character on the plates must have translated into paragraphs of text. That's quite a magical language.

>The "it was Hebrew" was almost a good answer. Problems are smith didn't say Hebrew he said "reformed Egyptian<

1 Nephi 1:2 Yea, I make a record in the language of my father, which consists of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians.

Mormon 9:32 And now, behold, we have written this record according to our knowledge, in the characters which are called among us the reformed Egyptian, being handed down and altered by us, according to our manner of speech.

33 And if our plates had been sufficiently large we should have written in Hebrew; but the Hebrew hath been altered by us also; and if we could have written in Hebrew, behold, ye would have had no imperfection in our record.

34 But the Lord knoweth the things which we have written, and also that none other people knoweth our language; and because that none other people knoweth our language, therefore he hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof.

>The ancient Israelites wouldn’t have had the technology to build a boat that could do that.<

Why not? They lived this close to the Mediteranian sea. Why wouldn't they ahve known how to build boats? Besides, if God is telling you how to do it, then how could you have a problem? After all, what about Noah?

>The third reason is DNA testing. There’s no link at all between Native Americans and Israelites. This has been tested.<

No, there has been no testing. Just data taken from various other tests done for totally unrelated reasons, and put together to make it LOOK like there is no link.

>Native Americans also didn’t do any metal work. They used rocks at most. Gold want of any value to them, they couldn’t eat it and it wasn’t any good for weapon making.<

No, there are other ancient pre-columbian records on metal.

And the plates were not made of gold, they were gold in color. Some believe it was an alloy of different metals that is called Tumbaga or something like that.

>No one saw the book but Joseph Smith that’s clear even to Mormons because it’s documented<

What book? YOu mean the plates? Yes, there were others who saw the plates.

>(Joseph Smith’s 1826 court transcript; see Abanes, One Nation Under Gods, p. 501)

In which he was convicted for fraud.<

He was not convicted of anything.

A. He paid $2.68 for something but it wasn't clear what it was for.

B. the man who brought this court record to light actually STOLE them from the Bainbridge Co. courthouse, and had to be sued to get them back. This man was a blatant anti-Mormon and who knows what he might have done to those records while he had them?

• amy

Youre a bit off. Jesus didnt write a book. They are just saying that he visited america after he was resurected (he says in the bible that he has sheep of other folds to visit) and it is a history of people in the american continent. It starts with Lehi and Nephi, just read the first part of the book of mormon and you'll get it. There are several different books (like the bible) written by differnt people, they were just all gathered together and made into one book by the guy named mormon. Then Maroni (i think) buried it, and joseph smith later was praying to know what church was true and he was visited by the Father and Son and was told that the gospel was going to be restorred (since it went away when the apostles were killed) and he was told where the book was and he was able to translate it because he was acting with god (like how all the bible people can do powerful things that are prophets). It is really complicated and i suggest you meet with local missionaries or attend church. They wont make you join but it is really interesting and they can answer it all. Plus its always fun to see what others believe. I did and it was a good idea! I enjoyed it.

Oh and i promise everything has an answer, just like how the bible seems really weird in places but people have an answer for it, the mormon church can give you even more specific answers so dont be afraid to ask.

Source(s): That man must have been weird for some reason. That is not a question that would make any Mormon squirm, it is in the basic beliefs. Maybe you had a feeling of attack towards him or he just had to visit a bathroom?

I doubt you talked to a Mormon institute guy since there is no philosophy class or department at LDS Institute of Religion.

He translated, with the help of scribes the heiroglyphs found on golden plates. He used the Urim and Thummin, and the help of God to translate it.

As for Last work's claim Joseph Smith was hauled into court 3 times for defrauding. No he was arrested once for exorcism or taking the devil out of a person, also one for preaching. All 3 times he was acquitted.

• babbie

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I sure hope somebody does, because I've been wondering the same thing for years. How, for example, do you convince people who actually believe in God to trust you with their immortal souls based on nothing more than your word? Okay, any religion is a matter of faith, but most of them have something tangible to point to, some miracle or something that was witnessed by a lot of people over time. If you believe the Bible, Moses at least had the stone tablets. Even if you think he carved them himself, at least they were real, people saw them. Not to mention parting the sea, the first born of Egypt - including the cattle - dying in one night, etc. Joseph Smith reminds me of Muhammed - a mysterious "angel" gives him a "new revelation" and he manages to convince hordes of people to trust him just like that. Neither of them ever performed a miracle to my knowledge, and neither one was ever prophesied. Beats me, hope somebody comes through for you.

• Those who were in America were actually from Jerusalem. They, like Noah, were told to build a boat and sail to a new land. They brought their language with them.

I'm not a Mormon, but I work with many, have been to their church, read a good bit of the BOM, and investigated with the missionaries.

how can a baby be born to a virgin? How can someone walk on water? Every religion believes something fantastic and utterly impossible.

misinformation he was known to be VERY honest