promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
! asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Is the state of Texas going to secede from the Union?

Could they do that?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, we are not talking secession, we are talking about our sovereignty afforded to us by the 10th amendment of the constitution. We are upset the the federal government has way overstepped its authority over us and we are demanding that they resend this intrusion. The stimulus bill had ALLOT of strings attached to it that was basically a federal power grab. There are several other bills in congress right now that would burden allot of Texas businesses and give allot more power to the feds. That is why the governer stood up and said what he said. We are fighting to keep the feds from cutting our GDP in half and double taxes on our businesses. Mainly the oil and gas industries and our farming industry which will both be hit hard by the new regulations. Since so much of the refining is done here, the rest of the country will feel it even more.We are not just standing up for Texas, if we win, and ae able to gain our sovereignty back, it opens the door for all states to reject federal regulations that go beyond whats written in the constitution. That includes income tax, gas tax, payroll tax. Most other federally mandated plans will go back to state levels,who ae required to balance their budgets. Much closer to the control of "we the people". That is what our founding fathers wanted for us. A federal government to serve the states, and the states to serve us.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Not legally. Any state can attempt to illegally secede from the union if they choose to, although it would be a waste of time and will never happen. For some reason, people in Texas seem to think that they have reserved a legal right to secession. This assertion is completely false. There simply is no reservation in the Texas Constitution, the US Constitution, or the Joint Annexation Agreement that brought Texas into the Union that explicitly allows secession. Not to mention the Supreme Court Case of Texas v. White, which effectively closed any loopholes for legal secession in 1869.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow! I guess very few people realize that Texas has a right; it is our Agreement with the Union, to leave at anytime. Texas has the 6th largest Econ. in the WORLD! We are resourceful, hardworking and we don't mind using what GOD gave us to make a living, life or a home. And GOD is NOT a curse word in TEXAS. Because of our Conservative responsible business minded views we are in a surplus in these hard times. NOW O"STALIN wants us and BACKWARD successful states like us to support everyone else and bankrupt ourselves in the process. We ShOULD leave, there is very little left of the United States that is looks worthy of calling home. Obama will see to it that the Census is rigged to give DEMS. more votes, Illegals will flood the boards and we can't do anything to hard their CIVIL RIGHTS?? WATCH... after he starts the OBAMA YOUTH corp. to take away liberty, guns from conservative state residents; He'll appoint himself KING, like BLOOMBERG-in NEW YORK and Dems. will be for it and Rep. will be helpless to stop it.

But, GOD will be with HIS PEOPLE. Texas should leave the Union if the pace of CHANGE/insanity continues its' current path. All enlighted liberal can live with the OBAMINATOR while dismantles our Union.

Source(s): I GOT THIS FROM A DIFFRENT SITE AND HERES ANOTHER http://templeofjennifer.com/blog/2009/04/15/texas-...
  • 1 decade ago

No. There will be no secession and I agree with the other person who said "enough already."

Before states like Texas even talk like that, how about deporting all the illegals back over the border first? We need a mandated mass-exodus of all third world illegals. Once that happens, this Country will be FAR BETTER OFF, demographically.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I highly doubt they could without causing a war. However, at one time, Texas was and independent nation when it seceded from Mexico.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I live in the state and believe me, no one I talk to ever says anything to the effect that they want to secede or that they would support such a thing.

• 1 decade ago

No, they are not allowed to secede.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No and no...ugh...I wish this would stop already, its just so idiotic to even suggest it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.