I want to get a pet snake...?

I want to get a pet snake but im not sure what breed to get. i live in Melbourne Australia and i am looking at buying my first pet snake. i have heard the the best breeds to get are the children and carpet snakes. what is the best breed out of the two? I want to get a big snake so i am wondering which one grows... show more I want to get a pet snake but im not sure what breed to get. i live in Melbourne Australia and i am looking at buying my first pet snake. i have heard the the best breeds to get are the children and carpet snakes. what is the best breed out of the two?

I want to get a big snake so i am wondering which one grows to be the longest. i have heard that the females are bigger than the males but which gender should i get?

also where should i get the snake? to be really specific i live in Footscray so there is a living jungle near me but should i look into buying from breeders? thanks for reading, i look forward to reading any answers.
Update: so i have heard that ball pythons, carpet pythons and childrens pythons are the snakes to look for for beginners. which one to get?