Shaun asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 decade ago

What are these Lifeguard qualifications?

hey-

I was planning on becoming a lifeguard to work at the local pools or the nearby water park. I am going to take a class next Friday for lifeguard training, CPR, and AED. However, according to the website, to work at the water park i need to have O2, BBP, and Lifeguard Training Water park Module. I have no clue what these are and there dont seem to be any classes offering these with the red cross. What are these 3 certifications and how could i get them?

its in SoCal

Favorite Answer

If I'm right, BBP is blood borne pathogens which is basically cleaning up blood spills. O2 is oxygen but I see no reason as to why you would need that. The Lifeguard Training Water park Module is a lifeguard training class designed for water park lifeguards which run things differently than a normal pool. I would call your employer and ask them for recommendations...usually this training is provided.

Well, I can see from your question you're from the U.K, so I don't know exactly how yours works. I'm from Canada, and I had to do the NLS (National Lifeguard Service). It seems similar, so I'll tell you exactly what I had to do. It was 10 weeks long (including exam). 5pm to 9:30pm once a week. There was no time swim in the course -- strokes weren't evaluated in any way. FOUR IMPORTANT PHYSICAL SKILLS: ~Deep water spinal carry - 25m ~PIA carry (keeping the victims shoulders above water, carrying them by holding them around the hip) 5m with 15m approach. ~Retrieve the 20lb brick from a minimum depth of 3m (probably Canadian equivalent of your mannequin) and carry it 5m above water. ~Submerged victim rescue - 5 meter run, head up dive, 15m approach, retrieve victim from the bottom and carry victim 15m. Also the main parts of the course were doing recreated situations. You'll have a group of guards and the rest of your class will play in the pool almost as if they were real patrons (even though it's nowhere near close to real), and then the instructor will give some of them an injury to act out, and you must react as if it is a real situation. You'll learn a lot more about these when you start the course, they really are easy and kinda fun. It was decently hard, but that was because the place I got my qualification at was "prestigious" etc. so they had a "reputation" to keep up. I think as long as you pay attention and review your first aid treatment you'll be fine and have fun! ^_^

Becoming a Lifeguard is easy. Go to http://www.Lifeguard-Pro.org and click "Certification Courses". Then, based on your job intentions and swimming abilities, select the lifeguard certification course that is best for you. You will then do an online lifeguarding course, and then attend 1-2 in-person training sessions. In the end, you get a full internationally accepted lifeguard certification. I did it. It was easy. Their website is http://www.Lifeguard-Pro.org

I'm don't know where you have enrolled, but that all sounds too weird.I'm not quite sure, but I think you need your Senior First Aid & Bronze Medallion to enrol, but if you contact Royal Lifesaving they will be able to tell you exactly what you need AND they run the lifeguard courses.

Source(s): Personal experience