promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Im scared of my own dog after a traumatic experience?

Ok so a couple of months ago i was at my friends house he has a 1 and a half year old american akita which is a very big dog, my friends went out for a smoke (i dont smoke so i didn't go) and i sat in the front room alone watching death race, the dog came and sat next to me at my feet on the floor looking away with his back turned to me so i stroked him a bit and stopped he looked at me as if too say why did you stop so i stroked him again and when i stopped the second time he turned around fully sniffed me, growled and immediately went for my face but im 17 and quite strong so i was able to hold him back with my arms but doing this I had to sacrifice my hands and forearms to the dog (Id rather having him tear at my hands and wrists then at my face) i was able to keep him away from my face but with dier consequences to my hands, wrists and forearms, i received some deep lacerations to my right hand some of them went straight to the bone as for my left arm he got that the worst i had deep lacerations but i also had muscle damage and he also fractured my radius bone in my forearm, i now have massive problems in that arm and it gets really irritating and lethargic sometimes, ive never ever been scared of my own dog or any other dog infact until now, my dog is a really good dog hes 9 and hes a lil jack russell who wouldn't even hurt a fly (although he tries when there buzzing around the house but hes too short to catch them, but he is good at catching bees without getting stung he gets them from the lavender bush in my back garden) hes never bitten anyone hes all bark and no bite, if im stroking him and he turns too look at me or moves suddenly (if you stroke him he sometimes thinks that's the que to go get his golf ball and he jumps up to get it) i get scared even though i know he wont hurt me god knows what i would be like with other bigger dogs :S i need help big time i love my dog and i dont want to be scared of him i don't want that to affect how i treat him or how often i interact with him! how do i get over it! please help me!

Kind Regards,

Luke

Update:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/Unityone1/m...

Thats a photo of my injurys!

I live in the uk so we dont pay medical bills!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Aware
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I had the same thing happen to me when a propane company exploded near my house one night. It was absolutely terrifying, and for months my heart would skip a beat at regular everyday noises like a car door slamming, or a dumpster clanging across the street.

If you can't find a doctor, or psychologist, or someone you can talk to about this, then try obedience classes. Having a trainer work with you and your dog will help to renew your bond with him, and the trainer can help you with your fears.

It takes time.

Best of luck!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

First of all Akitas are powerful dogs but can be very sweet animals. They can also be unpredictable and I hope your friend has taken his dog to be evaluated. Sometimes once they've bitten a human they will repeat the bad behavior. Depending on this dog's assessment they may be able to prevent this from happening again to someone else...maybe not. I do hope you received restitution for your injuries and suffering.

Secondly, give yourself more time, your reaction is normal after having been attacked like that. Confronting your fear head on is the right way to get over your fright. I would discuss this with a canine behaviorist or obedience school and see if they might have some suggestions to help get you over this...

• 1 decade ago

Wow. You have been through a lot. Hope you get better.

You just have to remember that you love this dog and that you have shared so many times and experiences with each other. You can't let this bad experience with another dog affect your love towards your own jack russell especially because he needs you.

By building up trust back into yourself and your dog, and learning just to trust dogs again will help you get over this.

Wish you well.

• 1 decade ago

What a horrific experience for you to have. First you have to understand the Akita. Akitas are very territorial dogs and can act unpredictably. If you accidentally met eye contact with the dog it caused him to feel challenged and was the reason for the attack. Though this does nothing to help what happened to you, it could help you to understand what happened. Your dog is on his own territory, and you are part of his pack so you share a bond. I do wish you the best, and if this doesn't get better, you may have to get some counseling to help you with the post traumatic stress syndrome you are experiencing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You are a brave man. Although at a time like this you don't feel that you are brave. The reason I'm saying that you are brave is because you went through with what happened, survived the worst and still want to go back petting your dog. And other dogs maybe? ;) This requires a lot of bravery and courage.

With this bravery and courage that you are showing, it will be easier for you to get through your phobia. I have mentioned easier, but its not a here today, gone tomorrow thing.

Are your hands already healed? Or are your hands still at the state shown on the photo?

If your hands are still at the state shown on the photo, then you may want to sit up high and use your legs to play with your dog. If you find this method too degrading to your dog, then you can wait till your hands are healed.

If your hands are healed, you can sit slightly higher where your Jack Russell can't reach your face. Your phobia is with dogs going near your face and them having sudden movement I assume. So sitting where he can't reach you will assist you on this. Start petting him face-to-face. You know he won't bite your hands and that is a fact. Play a tug and pull game with your dog. You can start with some tug and pull toy that is long. And over time, shorten your distance between your tug and pull game with your dog. What you need to achieve here is to deliberately put your hands into his mouth and play tug and pull with him with YOUR BEAR HANDS. This is not going to be easy, as the fear will be there. But you can overcome your fear for the love of your dog.

The time to shorten the toy will depend on your comfort level.

The next fear you need to overcome is the fear that your dog will suddenly jump at you. For this, you can hug him and try to pull your face nearer to him. With you hugging him, he can't jump at you suddenly. You choose when to put your face near him. When you can look him in the eye and stick your face to his face, you are ready for the next step.

Play fetch with him for this step. If you are brave enough, you can skip the previous step and come to this step straight. Since you are playing fetch with him, you know where he will run to, you can squat down and deliberately hug him face on. Since he is running towards you, you will feel the feeling of dog suddenly coming to your face, but with your readiness. A few more times of this, you will find that you no longer fear him.

• 1 decade ago

if you stare a dog into his eyes he feels offended and will often charge so you are never supposed to look a dog in the eyes what you should do is put your hand out like a stop to the dog

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's normal, Your trust has been violated and you suffered - it'll get better in time. Keep caring for him and keep loving him. Those feelings of fear will lessen. In the meantime, don't worry so much..Jack Russells are very smart, he's probably figured it out already anyway.

• Jeanne
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Of course you know the Akita should be dust by now. I hope.

It will take time...for you to get over that trauma....you may not ever be able to. I hope they took care of your medical bills???

That is horrible. Not sure about your recovery from the trauma...maybe never. And the disability. Unbelievable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

wow omg, wow.

you poor thing, i hope they put the akita down!!

thats not good at all.

I think you may need help from someone, talking on here will not help you, maybe get a phyc to help you, you need to mentally get over what happened to you, but it will be hard

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.