Im scared of my own dog after a traumatic experience?

Ok so a couple of months ago i was at my friends house he has a 1 and a half year old american akita which is a very big dog, my friends went out for a smoke (i dont smoke so i didn't go) and i sat in the front room alone watching death race, the dog came and sat next to me at my feet on the floor looking away... show more Ok so a couple of months ago i was at my friends house he has a 1 and a half year old american akita which is a very big dog, my friends went out for a smoke (i dont smoke so i didn't go) and i sat in the front room alone watching death race, the dog came and sat next to me at my feet on the floor looking away with his back turned to me so i stroked him a bit and stopped he looked at me as if too say why did you stop so i stroked him again and when i stopped the second time he turned around fully sniffed me, growled and immediately went for my face but im 17 and quite strong so i was able to hold him back with my arms but doing this I had to sacrifice my hands and forearms to the dog (Id rather having him tear at my hands and wrists then at my face) i was able to keep him away from my face but with dier consequences to my hands, wrists and forearms, i received some deep lacerations to my right hand some of them went straight to the bone as for my left arm he got that the worst i had deep lacerations but i also had muscle damage and he also fractured my radius bone in my forearm, i now have massive problems in that arm and it gets really irritating and lethargic sometimes, ive never ever been scared of my own dog or any other dog infact until now, my dog is a really good dog hes 9 and hes a lil jack russell who wouldn't even hurt a fly (although he tries when there buzzing around the house but hes too short to catch them, but he is good at catching bees without getting stung he gets them from the lavender bush in my back garden) hes never bitten anyone hes all bark and no bite, if im stroking him and he turns too look at me or moves suddenly (if you stroke him he sometimes thinks that's the que to go get his golf ball and he jumps up to get it) i get scared even though i know he wont hurt me god knows what i would be like with other bigger dogs :S i need help big time i love my dog and i dont want to be scared of him i don't want that to affect how i treat him or how often i interact with him! how do i get over it! please help me!

Kind Regards,
Luke
Update: http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/Unityone1/myinjurys.jpg

Thats a photo of my injurys!
I live in the uk so we dont pay medical bills!