Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

How do i cite using the MLA format?

I am writing a research paper, and i am paraphrasing. my question is i dont know how to cite that i am paraphrasing from a WEBSITE, not a book. I am not allowed to use footnotes, only the MLA format. please help!!

Update:

also, i am using and gathering information from my school database.. how do i cite that i am paraphrasing?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

here is a great cite to check when you are using mla:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

for paraphrasing a website:

you obviously don't need to use quotes, since you are putting this in your own words. however, after your sentence of paraphrasing, you need to put an in-text citation in parenthesis. what you put in there depends on if you know the author. if you do know who the author is. if you do, your paraphrased sentence should look something like this:

According to a study, there are four moons around Jupiter (Smith 3).

Smith is the author, and the number is either the page number (like if it is a pdf online) or the paragraph number on the page (just count down the paragraphs on the page).

If you don't know the author, just put the title of the web page in quotation marks in the parenthesis, followed by the paragraph or page number:

According to a study, there are four moons around Jupiter ("Moons" 3).

If you introduce the author in your paraphrase, all you need is the page oor paragraph #:

According to John Smith, there are four moons around Jupiter (3).

IN all cases, make sure your period is outside the parenthesis!!

Also, MLA has something called a "works cited page." on a seperate page, center "Works Cited" on the top of your paper. Skip a line, and list all of your sources in alphabetical order, double spaced. for a website, the citation is:

Authors last name, authors first name. title of webpaged (underlined), names of editors, date it was published. the name of the organization, the date you found it, and the url. if anything is unknown, just leave it out, but keep it in this order,

for the example we used above:

Smith, John. Moons. Karen Jones. 3 May 1998. NASA. 16 April 2009. <http://www.nasamoonsabout.gov>

you would also use a "hanging" indent for this, which means you indent the second line of the citation, but not the first.

hope this helps!

• 1 decade ago

you don't cite that you are paraphrasing, just put the web site's author's last name in parentheses at the end of the sentence. Type the following with this exact punctuation.

if you are using an entire web site,

Last Name, First. Title of site (underlined). Date of Publication(example: 16 Apr 2009)(use that format, first three letters of month except for june and july). (date you accessed the source). <website>

if a piece of the site,

Last Name, First. "Title of Piece". Title of site (underlined). Date of Publication(example: 16 Apr 2009)(use that format, first three letters of month except for june and july). (date you accessed the source). <website>

• 1 decade ago

MLA format in my school-

-Double Spaced

-Heading in Left Corner(Name, Class and Period, Teacher, Date)

• 1 decade ago

Go to this website http://www.calvin.edu/library/knightcite/

it is an internet citation machine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

go to son of citation or easybib =D

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

citationmachine.net

• 1 decade ago

easybib.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.