good Rifle to purchase for under 500$ which is bolt action or Semiautomatic and is a common cheap rifle round?

Brand doesnt matter but Winchester, Savage, Remington would be nice or Ruger

Favorite Answer

Bolt action is a lot easier to deal with and you get better value and accuracy. Common cartridges would be the 223,22-250,243 for varmint and coyote hunting. 243(minimum caliber in many states,270,7mm-08,308 and 30-06 for deer and except the 243 good for elk,moose,black bear. 30-06 and 308 are probably the most popular hunting cartridges while the 223 is much cheaper to shoot but isn't much more than a varmint/coyote/target rifle. To me the optimal are the 30-06 and 270, wide selection of bullet type and weights, great ballistics and best balanced of the hunting rounds. 308 isn't bad, but I like the long action rifles. Cost of factory hunting ammo for all three of those is equal, and cheap if you buy the bulk stuff from Cabela's or elsewhere.

As for rifles, there are Remington ADLs at WalMart and Cabela's currently under $500, some at close to $400. I've seen Savages today for $377 at WalMart too. A Stevens is $315 everyday price at some places,they are a Savage entry model. Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguards are a great value and are usually Les than $500;in fact the Howa 1500-Hogue-Nikko Sterling scope combo is $495 retail and normally a little less. There are some real bargains out there if you look around. Handloading comes in handy---I saw a Browning 223 WSSM for $515 brand new this afternoon.

Source(s): I've been hunting in Idaho since 1973. I currently reload for 223,243,30-06 and 300 WSM.

Ruger 10/22

Under current market conditions, don't hold your breath for any semis under $500, or for cheap ammo. But if a bolt action works for you, try the Savage line. The .308 and .30-06 calibers are usually available for good prices.

Savage Arms bolt-action rifle, chambered for .30-06 or for .308 cartridges. This rifle is accurate, able to perform a variety of tasks and is a great value for the money.

SKS semi-automatic rifle chambered for 7.62x39mm cartridges. Good rifle for plinking and short-range deer hunting (<150 yds.). May be used for 'home defense' purposes.

Winchester Model 70, 7mm rem mag, .300 win mag,.270 win or 30-06. I saw one in Wal-Mart for Like $400.00 something with a 4x12x40mm scope and all, it was very nice. I also hear they are a good rifles. If you are gonna put a couple hundred in a rifle get something that can kill a deer.

savage model 110, lookit up on gunbroker, its the first one, its 30-06, bolt action and the current bid is like $330