Bob Jones University vs United States?

I need to know the people involved in this case...like the plaintiff and defendant that represented the case

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Supreme Court decision

Bob Jones University v. United States was decided May 24, 1983 in an 8-1 decision with majority opinion written by Warren E. Burger, and joined by William J. Brennan, Byron R. White, Thurgood Marshall, Harry A. Blackmun, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O'Connor. The Court, speaking through Burger, read a "common law" public interest requirement into the statute governing tax-exempt charitable status, and cited Congress' refusal to intervene as proof that they approved of the IRS's construction of the statute. Lewis F. Powell wrote a separate concurring opinion, emphasizing the importance of Congressional approval for administrative policy changes. William H. Rehnquist was the sole dissenter, arguing that the literal terms of the governing statute could not be read to exclude Bob Jones from charitable status.

#

Bob Jones University v. United States - Wikipedia, the free ...

Bob Jones University v. United States was decided May 24, 1983 in an 8-1 decision with majority opinion written by Warren E. Burger, and joined by William ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University_v._United_States - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

#

Court Decision on Religious Tax Exemptions: Bob Jones University v. US

Supreme Court Decisions on Religious Tax Exemptions - summary and analysis of Bob Jones University vs United States. Should private schools that engage in ...

atheism.about.com/library/decisions/tax/bldec_BobJonesUS.htm - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

#

Bob Jones University v. United States - Religious Freedom Page

Bob Jones University was a Christian university that believed interracial dating and marriage was contrary to the its faith. In 1970, the Internal Revenue ...

religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu/court/bobj_v_us.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

#

Bob Jones University v. U. S., 461 U.S. 574 (1983), U.S. Supreme ...

Cite this page. The Oyez Project, Bob Jones University v. U. S. , 461 U.S. 574 (1983) available at: (http://oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1982/1982_81_3) ...

www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1982/1982_81_3/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

#

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

81-3, Bob Jones University v. United States. Bob Jones University is a ... That suit culminated in Bob Jones University v. Simon, 416 U.S. 725 (1974), ...

caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=461&invol=574 - 136k - Cached - Similar pages

#

Bob Jones Univ. v. United States

Bob Jones University v. United States (No. 81-3) No. 81-1, 644 F.2d 879, and No. 81-3, 639 F.2d 147, affirmed. Syllabus, Opinion [ Burger ], Concurrence ...

www.law.cornell.edu/supct-cgi/get-us-cite/461/574 - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

# [PDF]

Bob Jones University v. U.S.

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

Bob Jones University v. U.S.. Page 1. 103 S.Ct. 2017 not qualify as tax-exempt organizations under. 461 U.S. 574, 76 L.Ed.2d 157 ...

www.whc.net/irish/government/ap/cases/bjones.pdf - Similar pages

#

Bob Jones University v. United States - Further Readings

Bob Jones University v. United States, along with the companion case of Goldsboro Christian Schools v. United States, established the higherimportance of ...

law.jrank.org/pages/13192/Bob-Jones-University-v-United-States.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

#

The Multiracial Activist - Bob Jones University V. United States ...

81-3, Bob Jones University v. United States Bob Jones University is a nonprofit corporation located in Greenville, S.C. Its purpose is "to conduct an ...

www.multiracial.com/government/bju-v-us.html - Similar pages

#

Bob Jones University vs. United States 1983

Bob Jones University vs. United States 1983 ...

www.east-buc.k12.ia.us/05_06/AG1/kj/kj1.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

• 5 years ago

Bob Jones University also publishes elementary and high school textbooks, they were my text books as a kid while I was being home schooled. I don't remember much time being spent on a creationist perspective of evolutionary biology at all, just one chapter maybe... I'm sure University classes would have more, but I think if the info was so sparse in high school maybe they really don't have much to offer for college....just a thought.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.