Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Spiritually speaking, when you answer a question in R&S...?

...would you prefer that you could see who thumbs-upped or thumbs-downed your R&S answers, (similar to how you can see who starred your questions) or do you like it the way it is (anonymous)?

What are the reasons for your preference?

Thank you for your answers,

The Marlboro Man

Lime Kitty: Really? Who do you think it is who thumbs-downs you?

Sirius: LOL!

Galaxie, you're probably right. It would just increase the feuding on this forum.

Oscar: Good answer. Thank you.

(((QOY)))

Jeff: Cool. Thank you for your answer.

R!4z: LOL!

Anim4llov3r: Hahaha!

(((Wayf))) I agree. I could be friends with many people here in real life even though we disagree on certain issues.

Peace!

toomordgs: I agree. It's nice to see that people actually read an answer, even if they disagree.

Eric/Linz: I'd prefer keeping it the way it is too.

Peace!

Favorite Answer

No, I don't. I think many people would be less willing to give thumbs if that was the case. The thumbs system is supposed be indicative of how good an answer is; the starring system is meant to draw attention to a specific question, via your Contacts. Their purposes really are apples and oranges.

I know it seems paradoxical that people would be more honest with their opinions from behind the veil of anonymity, but such is human nature. I'd much prefer a realistic gauge of my answers than a self-conscious one. The analogy with starring isn't an apt one because starring depends on people with common interests being linked together beforehand; presumably, there would be no need to dissemble amongst your Contacts.

In R&S I generally only provide thumbs up or no thumbs. I don't provide thumbs down since this is an opinion forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I generally only provide the thumbs up to people who have provided either thoughtful or generally amusing answers.

The quick "two points" answer and the "rant" answers don't get thumbs from me. I have provided thumbs up to Christians, Mormons, Atheists, Jews, Agnostics, etc.. If the answer is well thought out, I don't discriminate based on the "position" taken by the person.

I try to provide a thoughtful answer in the tone provided by the original question myself. In that context I don't mind if everyone were to see how I assign thumbs.

However, in advice areas such as "singles and dating" for example when I see people giving "advice" which I think will ultimately create serious problems for someones personal life if followed I do provide thumbs down. This is usually advice that advocates dangerous or harmful actions like assaulting a "cheating" spouse, or getting into a physical altercation with another person over a potential mate.

p.s. I really don't care to know who provides thumbs to me. It won't change how I respond to their answers anyway as I will continue to use the criteria described above.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): Agnostic who understands the unknown can not be proved.

It's easy to say that someone annoys me because several people do and obviously that's mutual since I'm on account number 4 or 5, I forget. But the thumbs up and down aren't the major annoyance, it's the shutting down of accounts which does no good anyway since you can just open another right away. I wish we could have done with that and I do believe that one way would be to make reporters public. If someone so offends you, stand up and say so publicly and if you are a relentless reporter, well, now we know where the real problem is, don't we? I don't mind losing accounts because I know that I can be a real pill but many others get their feelings hurt and feel that they are the targets of vendettas. If you had to publicly take responsibility for taking down someone's account, I am willing to bet that it would slow down to a trickle and still take care of the most egregious offenders who, I will agree, need to be suspended in perpetuity. Just my opinion... take it or leave it...

fyi- I always give Lime Kitty thumbs up

just for the lime hat.

Jeff S, too-no Lime hat needed-

nah i don't want people to know when I thumbs down-what if I slipped -or I had to TD a buddy- better to be anonymous thus absentfarmer-or did you think that was my real name :)

I don't thumbs down anyone but the very very very closed minded. Even if they are my own "kind" -

Source(s): LDS - --------I accept all people

I would prefer to see those who report.

Sometimes a question or answer is deleted due to the ignorance of someone not using the thumbs up or thumbs down.

I also don't understand why they removed this option for the question being asked.

Not worried about the thumbs up or thumbs down, but I do think that a person should be notified who reports their answers as I am sure many are repeated by the same person who holds a grudge of some type.

Cinn =)

I wouldn't mind too much.

However, it might lead to even more drama than we already see here between members "hating" one another. There have been a lot of times when I was not paying enough attention, or failing at using a trackpad (:P) that I've accidentally thumbed people down. There have, unfortunately, been a couple of times when I thumbed down everyone -- intending to give everyone thumbs up. Last time, I felt horrid and sent messages to everyone apologizing.

I like to know how many thumbs up or down I get but I really don't care to know who it is. I wouldn't care if that info was available because I rarely thumbs up or down unless I really am passionate about an answer.

Sometimes I'd like to know who gave me td's, but overall it makes no difference to me because I realize that there are probably many people here who would become good friends in real life if they only had the opportunity - even though they may disagree on some issues here.

Thumbs up ... well, I guess it would be fun to know, but I don't need to.

(((MM)))

I'd like to know who thumbs downed me, but I'm sure I'd get a load of hate-mail if people could see how many of them I thumbs downed :-P