How do you start a conversation with a german exchange student?

There is this really cute German exchange student and i wanna get to know him. I dont want to come off as awkward or anything either. Do you have any ideas at what i should do?

Favorite Answer

Talk to him in english and start your conversation the way you would with anybody else. Ask him about his hobbys or what sport teams he likes, what music he listens to...Those are basic starters that work in any language and culture and they usually break the ice.

• Djeuve

Actually, you might find this strange advice, but just talk to him in English. He's on exchange for that very purpose, probably: to learn English. Don't be afraid to help him out!

The thing is, if you try to learn too much German without knowing the proper pronunciation and grammar, that will sound a whole lot more awkward to him, trust me.

Just to break the ice though, try a little "Guten Tag" or "Hallo! Ich heisse (your name here)!"

"Guten Tag" literally means "Good day", and is used as a general "Hello"... you pronounce it like: goo-ten tahg (strong 'g' at the end, almost like a 'k')

Audio: http://192.20.225.55/tts/speech/3dffca6f650013a3b6...

(so you can hear how to say it)

"Hallo! Ich heisse ______" is "Hi, my name is ______!"

Pronounce it like: hah-llo, ikh hai-s'uh ______ (that 'ich' is tricky, listen to the audio closely)

Audio: http://192.20.225.55/tts/speech/b5379f01f3c8a872cb...

Source(s): German Studies, lived and studied in Germany, had awkward situations where people tried to speak to me in my mother tongue (French) with embarrassing results :P

Don't be afraid to talk in english... don't embarrass yourself by talking in german... you might say something random lol

So talk to him in english... after all he is here to learn more about the british (I guess you're british or american) culture and language... ask him basic stuff like How long are you staying? Do you like england/America? What do you think of the subjects?

And after a while you'll have more confidence :)

Good luck

Source(s): Chatted to a german exchange student myself =]

I'm from Germany and I've been on an exchange program one year ago.

Just talk to him in english, you could start with asking if he likes his exchange and other random stuff.