Can you cook in the ceramic coated cast iron cookware without oil?

I remember seeing cookware that you could use without oil so that it is healthier.... hoping someone can validate this. I know that this type of cookware is expensive, so I want to make sure this is what I am looking for before I sink a fortune into it. Thanks!

Best Answer

If you want to fry... no, no. Don't fry without fat. Your better off eliminating fried foods from your diet.

A good cast iron pan might not look as good as a brightly colored ceramic coated pot or pan but it is often far superior. In order to make a great ceramic coated cast iron pan, you need to start out with an extremely well made cast iron pot or pan. The ceramic coating can hide many defects. (Even in expensive French cookware.)

Well made cast iron pans are inexpensive and easy to recognize. Just look for a SMOOTH interior cooking surface.

Some ceramic coated pots and pans crack while you cook. You don't want to chance serving a bowl of stew with chunks of crunchy clay... do you?

Don't bother-these are expensive gimmicks that don't work. Besides, choosing the right oil is far more important. Extra virgin olive oil is very healthy for you-just use it sparingly. Pure, extra virgin olive oil is not only a light and delicate addition to many wonderful dishes, it is one of the most health-promoting types of oils available. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fat, a type of fat that researchers are discovering has excellent health benefits. In many parts of the world, a high fat intake is associated with degenerative diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, asthma, colon cancer, and arthritis. But in some parts of the world, a high fat intake is actually associated with lower rates of these conditions. A closer look at the foods eaten in these places reveals that the high fat intake is actually due to the generous use of olive oil. Comparing these areas, such as the Mediterranean, where olive oil is the main fat used, to other regions, like the United States, where other fats such as animal fats, hydrogenated fats and vegetable oils like corn oil dominate, turns up some very interesting data. It turns out that people who use olive oil regularly, especially in place of other fats, have much lower rates of heart disease, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and asthma. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and phenolic compounds with a variety of protective effects.

Fats are a necessary component for your body. It's important to choose those fats that benefit your health. Don't eliminate fats-you can actually die from a protein rich diet that lacks sufficient fats (look up ""rabbit starvation").

No reputable chef I know uses enamelware-silverstone or teflon are the only prefered coatings, and that's used only on saute pans. Add to the fact that once chipped the enamelware must be discarded (and it is easily chipped) enamelware is not a good choice.

Source(s): 28 years in Food Service http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice...

My mother and I have always used a very little Pam or Spray Olive Oil to coat an iron skillet...after that used water to cook with. My step father says we use water like everyone else uses oil. Just a thought for you. I am not familiar with ceramic cast iron though.

While you can clean cast iron cookware with modern dish detergents, this deprives the pan of it's natural nonstickproperties. If you must clean with a detergent you should then coat the inside and outside of the pan with cooking oil and place in a warm oven to cure, this wil not only prevent rust but will return some of the pan's ability to cook without food sticking to it.

Only if you're cooking something that is liquid. If you attempt to brown meat or cook vegetables without any liquid, you will scorch the food.

Yes you can, but is really hard to do.

You can sear scallops bu putting them in the hot pan, leave them untouches for 2-3 min, Then cover for a min... The condensation will allow you to get a spatula under them. you can use the same technique to pull them when they are done.