Any suggestions on a 6-day itinerary to Yellowstone Park? Places to stay, best route, etc..?

I will be coming from Salt Lake City and will be entering the park through the west entrance.

Favorite Answer

Yellowstone National Park is large and seeing it involves much driving. You'll have to return to your "home base" each night but I think that's better than packing up and moving every couple of days. You should split the park into sections and visit one section per day. Following is a suggested itinerary. You can use it as a guide in deciding how you want to see the park in the number of days you have available.

First of all I suggest you download the "park map with detail" from the following web page in PDF format and study it to familiarize yourself with the park.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/hafe/hfc/carto-de...

Also, download the map of Grand Teton NP.

Day 1: The Geysers & Hot Springs

Firehole Canyon Drive

Lower Geyser Basin

Firehole Lake Drive

Midway Geyser Basin

Upper Geyser Basin (Old Faithful)

Day 2: Grand Teton NP

Biscuit Basin, Yellowstone

Blacksand Basin, Yellowtone

Grand Teton National Park

Coulter Bay Visitor Center

Jackson Lake Lodge

Signal Mountain

Jenny Lake

Day 3: Yellowstone Lake / Hayden Valley

West Thumb Geyser Basin

Bridge Bay - boat tour

Lake Village

Mud Volcano

Sulphur Caldron

Hayden Valley (look for wildlife)

Canyon Village Visitor Center

Upper and Lower Yellowstone Falls (time permitting)

Day 4: North Loop

Norris Geyser Basin

Virginia Cascade

Upper and Lower Yellowstone Falls (if you missed all or part of it from the previous day)

Mt Washburn (if Dunraven Pass has been plowed open)

Tower Fall

Petrified Tree

Mammoth Hot Springs Terraces

Obsidian Cliff

If Dunraven Pass is still closed you will have to get to it via Mammoth Hot Springs. Or, you can skip it because it's a long way to go for one of the lesser attractions in Yellowstone. You can also skip the Petrified Tree because it pales in comparison to Petrified Forest National Park.

Day 5: Gallatin River

Paddle & Saddle - http://www.montanawhitewater.com/index.html

The horseback ride is more of a novelty for those that don't get to go horseback riding very often, like me. On the other hand, the whitewater rafting on the Gallatin River is fantastic. This is not a "float" down a lazy river. This is whitewater, especially in May during the spring melt. The Paddle & Saddle includes a half day horseback ride followed by a the Classic Half Day on the Gallatin. Or, you can skip the horseback ride and take the Classic Full Day on the Gallatin. You'll have to wear wet suits, neoprene booties and helmets because of the cold water and rocks. Great fun - highly recommended.

Lodging - I've stayed at Mammoth, Canyon Village and most recently West Yellowstone. I don't care to stay near Old Faithful because of the huge crowds there. I didn't care much for Mammoth Hot Springs either. If I'm staying in the park I prefer to stay at Canyon Village. However, on my last trip to Yellowstone I stayed in West Yellowstone and found that to be more convenient than any of the facilities in the park. I like the wide selection of eating places, the large number of shops in town, easy access to a number of gas stations, the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center and proximity to the Gallatin River.

One last note, take heed of wildlife warnings. The animals may appear to be docile but they are wild and can charge at any time. This is especially true if you invade their space by getting too close or surrounding them. Be safe and have fun.

in case you're staying in Disney, use the greater hours With a 2 year old, do parks interior the morning, bypass away lunch Time for nap and the 7 year old can swim bypass back, have dinner and stay for a on a similar time as maximum people bypass to the park from eleven to 4, then bypass dwelling house to get waiting for the night this type, it supply nap time, and you removed from the main crowded time Magic kingdom might have plenty to do for the two infants you could have exciting with each and each of them Use rapid bypass, get 4, the older infant and be certain can bypass two times on the journey with the rapid bypass in case you bypass on an afternoon the place you may get in this park early, it fairly is worth it Magic Kingdom parade at night is extremely stable, sit down by skill of the positioned up workplace on significant highway, that stands out as the 1st place to end. Come early and positioned down a towel or something Animal Kingdom the infants might like they have a water journey that each and all the infants might like and the Safari is rather well worth the trip with teenagers My daughter freaked out on the bugs 3-D, so be careful with the two year old They do have the perfect curler coaster, relies upon on the 7 year old Hollywood studio they might have a play with disney JR, which would be stable for the two year old The little Mermaid practice the infants will like they have the tower of Terror and Rock and Roll n coaster, back relies upon on the 7 year old this might properly be worth some hours Epcot might desire to be positive they have a competent princess lunch and breakfast in Norway

nice drive... we stayed in cody wy for the night and drove to yellowstone the next day ... that is a great route!! if you ahve the time before you go to yelloewstone we spent the day and night near Mt. Rushmore.. if you have some time make sure you visit Deadwood and Custers Last Stand