Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did the mosaic law allow human sacrifice?

Leviticus 27:28-29 "Note also that any one of his possessions which a man vows as doomed to the Lord, whether it is a human being or an animal, or a hereditary field, shall be neither sold nor ransomed; everything that is thus doomed becomes most sacred to the Lord. All human beings that are doomed lose the right to be redeemed; they must be put to death."

BTW this verse only refers to human slaves.

Update:

seeing as the bible quote i have provided proves human sacrifice was sanctioned i think your answers must be marked FAIL

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to find anything in the Hebrew Bible that will get around the fact that human sacrifice was always and shall forever remain forbidden to the covenant nation people, Israel, the Jews.

You did bring up an interesting portion of Torah and so I'll simply use your baiting q to actually have a Torah lesson for those who are interested. And as usual, my "mantra" of context, context, context is important so I hope that all interested will go read the whole of chapter 27 at minimum. I have the link below to the specific passage but you can navigate all through the Torah from there.

http://bible.ort.org/books/torahd5.asp?action=disp...

27:28 However, anything taboo, that a person declares to be taboo to God, cannot be sold or redeemed. [This is true] of anything he owns, whether it is a slave, an animal, or his hereditary field. Everything that is taboo is holy of holies to God.

Ach kol-cherem asher yacharim ish l'Adonay mikol-asher-lo me'adam uvehemah umisdeh achuzato lo yimacher velo yiga'el kol-cherem kodesh kodashim hu l'Adonay.

27:29 If a human being is declared taboo, he cannot be redeemed and must be put to death.

Kol-cherem asher yochoram min-ha'adam lo yipadeh mot yumat.

cherem is the key Hebrew word here, it is something taboo or prohibition. Those are much more precise definition of that Hebrew word than "doomed" sincre it has applications for something both excluded and something dedicated..depending on context.

A Cherem is a type of pledge of Kodshei Bedek ha'Bayis: a person who makes an object Cherem dedicates it to be given either to the Beis ha'Mikdash (Chermei Bedek ha'Bayis) or to the Kohanim (Chermei Kohanim). This means dedicated to the Temple or to the Temple's priests.

An object or person who is Cherem is set apart, forbidden

Here are also a few comments from the link above:

taboo

Cherem in Hebrew.

declared taboo

By a king or by the Sanhedrin (Ramban; Ralbag). Or, 'If a human being [is sentenced to death and] must be declared taboo' (Saadia; Chizzkuni). Or, 'If a human being is under the death penalty and is declared taboo, he need not be redeemed' (Rashi).

taboo to God

Either for the Temple or for the priests (Yad, Arakhin 6:1; see comment on Leviticus 27:21).

(here are the comments from Lev 27:21)

taboo

Cherem in Hebrew. See Leviticus, 27:28, 29. Such taboo property is the property of the priests (Numbers 18:14), as long as it is not dedicated specifically to the Temple.

of the priest

It is given to the priests serving on the new year of the jubilee (Yad, Arakhin 4:24).

In the case of the "possessions" listed above, those things are dedicated to God *or* have been condemned by God..and this is why that term CHEREM is also used for the highest ecclesiastical censure in the Jewish religion...a form of excommunication.

If you begin reading a few portions back you will see they are refering to things dedicated to the priests and Temple.

The whole gist of this portion of Leviticus is to tell Israel of the blessings of following the laws, and the chastizement that they will bring upon themselves if they corrupt the laws.

• 1 decade ago

Notice it says "devoted to destruction," not "devoted to the Lord." It means that no one can pay a ransom to free someone who has been convicted of a capital crime. I do not like your version of this quote...the NIV reads much better....

28 " 'But nothing that a man owns and devotes [l] to the LORD -whether man or animal or family land—may be sold or redeemed; everything so devoted is most holy to the LORD.

29 " 'No person devoted to Destruction may be ransomed; he must be put to death.

• 1 decade ago

I don't see anything in your quote that mentions sacrifice.

All human beings that are doomed -- as in Sodom and Gomorrah -- lose the right to be redeemed. God understood that those people were evil and beyond redemption!

We learn from the near-sacrifice of Isaac that human sacrifice is never acceptable to God. Other cultures of the day practiced human sacrifice, but the Hebrew Bible LIMITS sacrifice to grains, oils, incense, and little critters -- never a human! Aren't you glad that God allows the sacrifice of little critters -- we can all enjoy our backyard BBQs!

• 1 decade ago

Leviticus 27:28, 29 (AS) reads: “Notwithstanding, no devoted thing, that a man shall devote unto Jehovah of all that he hath, whether of man or beast, or of the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed: every devoted thing is most holy unto Jehovah. No one devoted, that shall be devoted from among men, shall be ransomed; he shall surely be put to death.” The Hebrew word, hher′em, that is translated “devoted” in this text, means a thing or person devoted to destruction or sacred use and therefore withheld from any profane use.

For example, a field could be sanctified and later redeemed, but under certain circumstances it became “a field devoted” and no longer redeemable. It became the possession of the priest and was devoted to sacred use. (Lev. 27:20, 21) Animals and men that became devoted in this sense were devoted to destruction and for that reason not redeemable. King Saul was sent to “devote” or “utterly destroy” the Amalekites, but in violation of this “devoting” he spared King Agag, thereby rousing the wrath of Samuel and causing Samuel to fulfill the devoting of Agag by slaying him. (1 Sam. 15:18, 33) At 1 Kings 20:42 it speaks of a man “whom I appointed to utter destruction”, and the margin says a man “of my curse”, but the same Hebrew word elsewhere translated “devote” is used. A similar case is Isaiah 34:5, where it speaks of the people “of my curse”. Sometimes entire cities were to be devoted to destruction, as outlined at Deuteronomy 13:12-17. The destroyers were to take no “cursed” thing from it, or, according to the margin, no “devoted” thing. Jericho was to be such a “cursed” (“devoted,” margin) city, only Rahab and her household being spared. When Achan violated this command by withholding some articles that were devoted to destruction all Israel suffered, until Achan was destroyed. (Josh. 6:17; 7:13) More literal translations, such as Rotherham’s and Young’s, use the word “devoted” in most of the above cases.

There are many other instances where the same Hebrew word is used to mean devoted to destruction, but the foregoing illustrations suffice to show why such devoted things, animals or persons were not redeemable.

Source(s): www.watchtower.org
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nope. the verse you quoted above is not restricted to slaves. It pertains to any person, animal or thing that is devoted to God ... is to be regarded as holy. This is the Law.

mosaic law does not allow human sacrifice BUT if a human is devoted to God, such a person must be 'put to death'. So why devote a human who is in your care, to God ? then turn around and call it 'human sacrifice'. Did God ask for human sacrifice? No.

So, therefore, if you VOW to devote your son / daughter to God, then that son/daughter must be put to death.

• 1 decade ago

Human sacrifice as killing the human victim? No.

The phrase " All human beings that are doomed" refers to sentenced to death. there were no procedure like a governor or president pardon to cancel a death sentence.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No.

(Deuteronomy 18:10-13) . . .There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, 11 or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. 12 For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you. 13 You should prove yourself faultless with Jehovah your God.

• cavitt
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

the sacrifice you talk of in those passages replaced into not unto death yet more desirable like given over to God for use how he referred to in high-quality condition. it replaced right into a sacrifice of one existence to God. if a baby or human replaced into killed "unto God" it replaced into both becasue of disobedience or sin (as in homicide) God, unlike different religions in no way wanted human death (except his son) for fee of sin. it replaced into alsways an animal that replaced into used.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

answer: perhaps you should learn about Judaic history. That was a prohibition against making careless vows. It was common practice in the ancient world in almost all cultures that one could vow prisoners of war or your own possession to your deity if that deity aids you in battle or such.

You fail to mention the verses where G-d states that He abhors human sacrifice.

So - you fail

What, EXACTLY does God say about human sacrifice in the TaNaCH? In Deuteronomy 12:30-31, God calls Human sacrifice something that He hates, and an abomination to Him, "for every abomination to the Eternal, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods. In Jeremiah 19:4-6, God tells us that Human sacrifice is so horrible a concept to Him, that it did not even come into His mind to demand it from His creation, "They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind." We see the same thing in Psalm 106:37-38, and in Ezekiel 16:20.

Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise. Thou shalt not do so unto the Eternal thy God: for every abomination to the Eternal, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods. [Deuteronomy 12:30-31]

Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it unto other gods, whom neither they nor their fathers have known, nor the kings of Judah, and have filled this place with the blood of innocents; They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind: Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Eternal, that this place shall no more be called Tophet, nor The Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but The Valley of Slaughter. [Jeremiah 19:4-6]

• SSQ8
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No.

God the Heavenly Father sacrificed Jesus the Holy Son of God on the Cross at Calvary to save human beings in the family of mankind into generations.

Holy Bible Acts 5:31

Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Holy Bible Hebrews 9:27-28

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Believe in Christ Jesus Son of God - the Truth, else the Anti-Christ will take you away from Christ Jesus into darkness.

Holy Bible 2 Corinthians 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

[Hadith Volume 3, Book 43, Number 656: Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you as a just ruler, ]

[Hadith Volume 4, Book 55, Number 657: Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, surely (Jesus,) the son of Mary will soon descend amongst you and will judge mankind justly (as a Just Ruler); ]

[Hadith Volume 4, Book 55, Number 658: - Allah's Apostle said "How will you be when the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you and he will judge people by the Law ]

God bless you in Christ Jesus mighty name.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.