Boss asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Baltimore Orioles Contenders?

Everyone spent the off-season talking about the tough division race in the AL East with the Rays, Yankees and Red Sox. But is it possible the Baltimore Orioles could be contenders for the AL East title?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Not at all. They have nothing close to the pitching or offensive power and depth that the Red Sox, Rays, and Yankees all have stacked up on their rosters. That's 60 games where they'll be pretty heavy underdogs. I don't even think they can run with the Blue Jays.

Bottom line, the AL East is the best and toughest division in baseball, by far. The depth of pitching is astounding. In one division you have Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Sabbathia, Burnett, Wang, Kazmir, Shields, Garza and potentially David Price as well. And those are just the starters. Never mind guys by the names of Papelbon and Rivera. The hitting is just as deep--Ortiz, Drew, Bay, Youkilis, Pedroia, A-Rod, Texiera, Longoria, Upton, Pena...

The O's have, at best, a mediocre rotation and line-up, and a bull-pen just as weak. They should be happy if they break 70 wins. It'll be impressive if they finish anywhere other than dead last.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not this year. Next year might be another story after Matt Wieters has had some playing time under his belt and the touted young pitchers start joining the rotation. The Orioles are building a very solid team. They are already among the top offensive teams in the league and they have good pitching on the way. They also play outstanding defense, as anyone watching last night's game would agree. Anyone who discounts the team the Orioles are becoming isn't really paying attention.

• 1 decade ago

I do not think that they are contenders, but I think that they are spoilers. I would not be surprised at all at some late season sweeps, and some early sweeps. They are mainly missing a solid pitching staff and bullpen. I think their lineup is fine as long as the young guys can stay hot. I do think that they have the most underrated superstar in all of baseball in Nick Markakis. I have not seen an arm like that since Clemente in right, not to mention he is a .300 hitter, with 25+ home runs, 10+ stolen bases, 100+ rbis, and close to or over 100 runs.

• 1 decade ago

yes...fairy tales can come true...their outfield is solid and could be the best. The infield is also defensively strong. They are hitting .302 and leading the majors, and hard hitting number one prospect Weiters is on the way. They have the middle relief and closers and 2 maybe 3 solid starters. So if one or 2 of our young pitching prospects, of which we have many, can show that they are ready, the O's could make a run. I'm not saying they will, but they could. In any event, they're close.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. It is not possible..they don't have the depth in pitching..even if they hit, the pitching will not hold up.

As for them being late season spoilers..also no..their primary run will be in the first half where they might play .500 ball for a month or more.

As pointed out above..they can't go head to head with the 3 big teams and might fight with the Blue Jays for a 3rd or 4th place finish.

But I want to mention that the Red Sox hitting is very weak this season, but they still have pitching.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They lack pitching but they do have some good hitters & fielding is decent & team is good enough to score 5+ runs a game but unfortuantely, their pitching staff is more than capable of giving up more runs than the O's will score in more games making them non-contenders for the AL East

• 1 decade ago

anything can happen

werent we saying the same thing about the rays last year

you never know

im a believer becuase wieters will come up

and burgeson in AAA will be up soon to help the pitching

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe...

if they keep playing like they have then yes.

no one believed in the Rays last season.

the only problem is that the Sox and Yanks wont continue to play like ****, it wont happen and that will be their biggest challenge.

but they are looking good now, can they keep it up?

im excited to see.

Source(s): AL East kicks ass, always
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably not in that division, theres just too much competition for them.

• 1 decade ago

not no, but HELL no!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.