What is the legend of the dogwood tree? Was the cross Jesus was crucified on made of dogwood?

In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew

To a stately size and a lovely hue.

'Twas strong and firm it's branches interwoven

For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.

Seeing the distress at this use of their wood

Christ made a promise which still holds good:

"Never again shall the dogwood grow

Large enough to be used so.

Slender and twisted, it shall be

With blossoms like the cross for all to see.

As blood stains the petals marked in brown

The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.

All who see it will remember Me

Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.

Cherished and protected, this tree shall be

A reminder to all of my agony."

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The Bible does not tell us what type of wood the cross Jesus was crucified on was made of. Roman history does not go into specifics as to how the crosses were made or what type of wood was used. There is a legend that the cross was made of dogwood. This is unlikely considering the typical size of a dogwood tree.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The petal-like bracts of the flowering dogwood are arranged so they look slightly like a cross. So some zealot made a nice story up from there. I'm reasonably sure nothing idicates anything in the Cornus genus other than the Cornelian Cherry ever occured naturally anywhere near Jerusalem, and that particular shrub has a yellow inflorescence nothing like in the poem.

• 1 decade ago

the Romans were very ingenious, if you dogwood tree was 'a stately size and a lovely hue.' and if it 'Twas strong and firm' then it sounds like something they'd do. however, i saw this show once where scientists got together and tried to find out if the cross was shaped as it is in paintings and such and they found out that it must have been a T shape, not the familiar cross, so if they got that wrong, who knows?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dogwoods are pretty trees. We have 3 different kinds at my house.

1 has large, prickly berries

1 has raisin-shaped red berries

and the last one hasn't given us anything yet. IT is very young.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Romans had four ways they could crucify you- pretty all with pegs & poles. All that remains now are nails, so your best bet is check out that area & what Romans were using. I know Cedar is one and deviating a little there are several plants that could have made the crown of thorns.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.