Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do you feel about the Confederate Flag?

What does it symbolize to you?

Also please explain why you feel like you feel.

Favorite Answer

The confederate flag also know as the southern cross is a symbol of slavery and segregation. As a black woman who's ancestors were slaves I find it offensive. It is used by racially motivated extremist groups. The real shame of it is that in today's society people are still using the confederate flag as symbol.Many states incorporate the confederate flag as a part of their state flag. I was born and raised in New York and was really not exposed to the perils of racism until I moved to the Mid West. It was a shock but it also made me more mindful of the struggle of my ancestors. It makes me proud that my ancestors would fight so hard for their beliefs. Willing to die so I could have a decent free life. When a parent is racist a child is exposed to it. "Children learn as they live" If a child is exposed to hate he will learn to hate. For this reason it will be very difficult for racism to die.

Old ideas/views that should have died with the end of the Civil War. Many people say it's just there heritage, I have a hard time with that. Why be proud of such a thing?!?!

• Tolle

hate for blacks