Is it incorrect to say "more well-informed?"?

One of my professors told me it was grammatically correct to say "more well-informed," and another told me it was wrong. Which is it?

Favorite Answer

Normally the comparative of well is better so the answer that it should be "better informed" sounds, at first, like the correct answer and "more well-informed" would be ungrammatical making the first professor a dolt.

But it is not so. "Well" is not used in its normal adverbial sense here, but it forms a complex adjective ("well-informed") whose comparative and superlatives do not follow the normal rule. A person can be "well-informed" as a state of being and can thus be "more well-informed" if that state is either increased or intensified.

Think of it this way and you will probably understand immediately: Order a steak "well-done." What if it comes back rare? Are you going to send it back saying, "I would like that better-done?" Probably not. Instead, you will say, and correctly so, that you want it "more well-done."

Sorry, but that's the case here, too.

• DJ

He was much more informed or better informed than she was. Also, you could just say that he was more informed than she was.

No this is not incorrect. I will agree that it is a different structure than what i would use but it is still correct.

Try "better-informed."

yes thats wrong

try "more informed"

It is ok to say it both ways