promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it incorrect to say "more well-informed?"?

One of my professors told me it was grammatically correct to say "more well-informed," and another told me it was wrong. Which is it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Normally the comparative of well is better so the answer that it should be "better informed" sounds, at first, like the correct answer and "more well-informed" would be ungrammatical making the first professor a dolt.

But it is not so. "Well" is not used in its normal adverbial sense here, but it forms a complex adjective ("well-informed") whose comparative and superlatives do not follow the normal rule. A person can be "well-informed" as a state of being and can thus be "more well-informed" if that state is either increased or intensified.

Think of it this way and you will probably understand immediately: Order a steak "well-done." What if it comes back rare? Are you going to send it back saying, "I would like that better-done?" Probably not. Instead, you will say, and correctly so, that you want it "more well-done."

Sorry, but that's the case here, too.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • DJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

He was much more informed or better informed than she was. Also, you could just say that he was more informed than she was.

• 1 decade ago

No this is not incorrect. I will agree that it is a different structure than what i would use but it is still correct.

• 1 decade ago

Try "better-informed."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes thats wrong

try "more informed"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is ok to say it both ways

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.