How would I go about applying for an F-1 student visa if I already applied for a Green Card?

My family applied for a Green Card eight years ago, and we don't expect to have the interview for it before I start college, or before I finish it for that matter. That said, it's my dream to go to school in the U.S., but you can't have dual intent when applying for an F-1 visa. I want the visa so that... show more My family applied for a Green Card eight years ago, and we don't expect to have the interview for it before I start college, or before I finish it for that matter. That said, it's my dream to go to school in the U.S., but you can't have dual intent when applying for an F-1 visa. I want the visa so that I can attend school though, plain and simple. How would my family's previous application for a Green Card affect my ability to get an F-1 visa?
Update: What is your nationality? Mexican, but currently a temporary resident in Canada. Age now? Sixteen. Age when they filed for you? Nine. Are your parents US citizens or green card holders? No. My grandmother is a citizen, and filed for my dad and us in 2002. Are you married or single? Single. Who... show more What is your nationality?
Mexican, but currently a temporary resident in Canada.

Age now?
Sixteen.

Age when they filed for you?
Nine.

Are your parents US citizens or green card holders?
No. My grandmother is a citizen, and filed for my dad and us in 2002.

Are you married or single?
Single.

Who told you that you can't have an F-1 while under petition?
Because you must be able to prove that you have no intention of staying in the U.S. after you get your degree, I would have thought a petition would prove against that unless it doesn't come up during the process. I asked about any possible complications for this on another website, and was told I wasn't eligible. I had serious doubts about not being eligible, so I've tried to ask around some more.

Thanks, Yak Rider!