What does it mean by "a mind like a sink"?

This is from a novel.

As I've told you, I've got a very suspicious mind. My nephew Raymond tells me in fun, of course, that I have a mind like a sink. He says that most Victorians have. All I can say is that the Victorians knew a good deal about human nature.

Thank you very much

Update:

Purple Heaven, thank you. I got it.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Purple Helen is correct (these are of course the words of Miss Marple - who gets results by having an intensely suspicious mind, always ready to see the worst in everything).

"Sink" in this case doesn't refer to a kitchen basin, but to the archaic English word for a soakaway hole for sewage (i.e. cesspool) - hence "one predisposed ... to put a filthy construction on whatever drains into it".

Source(s): Thesaurus of traditional English metaphors: "mind like a sink" http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7JMOAAAAQAAJ&pg...
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I'm afraid the previous answers are incorrect - the phrase means that the person has a "dirty mind" in other words that they think nasty, salacious or crude thoughts. "A mind like a sewer" is another phrase sometimes used for the same thing.

In this case, I assume that the writer is thinking that other characters are having an affair, or using prostitutes, or something like that.

Source(s): 56 yr old Brit.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've never heard of a sink that thinks.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe...

You drain out all the dirtiness.

You get bad ideas but make them good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i think it means your mind is full of dirty dishes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.