Are you happy that the captain got freed?

The captain of an American cargo ship held hostage by four Somali pirates was freed on Sunday, according to a statement released by his shipping company.

"Maersk Line, Limited was informed by the U.S. government ... that Capt. Richard Phillips has been rescued," the statement read. "John Reinhart, president and chief executive officer of Maersk Line Limited, called Capt. Phillips' wife, Andrea, to tell her the good news. The crew of the Maersk Alabama was jubilant when they received word."

CNN reported that Phillips was rescued and placed aboard the USS Bainbridge and then flown by helicopter to the USS Boxer. He contacted his family and received a routine medical examination.

"We are all absolutely thrilled to learn that Richard is safe and will be reunited with his family," Reinhart added in the statement. "Maersk Line Limited is deeply grateful to the Navy, the FBI and so many others for their tireless efforts to secure Richard's freedom.."

Phillips had been held hostage for five days on a lifeboat by the pirates. He had attempted to escape Saturday but the pirates were able to get him back on board.

The pirates -- demanding $2 million in ransom -- seized Phillips on April 8 and escaped the cargo ship in a motorized lifeboat.

A standoff between the pirates and the U.S. Navy then ensued until Saturday when negotiations between American officials and the pirates broke down, according to Somali officials. The negotiations broke down hours after the pirates fired on a small U.S. Navy vessel that had tried to approach the lifeboat not long after sunrise Saturday in the Indian Ocean.

Three pirates were killed Sunday in a military operation that rescued Phillips.

The cargo ship, the Maersk Alabama, a 17,000-ton cargo vessel, pulled into port at 8:30 Saturday evening in Mombasa, Kenya, with its 19 remaining American crew members.

The Associated Press reported that the surviving pirate was in military custody and could face a life term in a U.S. prison.

"He's in military custody right now," FBI spokesman John Miller said. "That will change as this becomes more of a criminal issue than a military issue."

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said no decisions have been made regarding charges against the lone surviving pirate. "The Justice Department will be reviewing the evidence and other issues to determine whether to seek prosecution in the United States," he said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20090412/pl_cq_politics...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Let's put it this way... those pirates signed their death warrants the second they stepped on the Maersk ship. While they are not terrorists in the "political" sense, they are criminals who use terrorist tactics, which is just as terrible.

I did a term paper in college... WAAAAAAAAAAY back in the 1970's... yes there were terrorists even back THEN!... regarding the definition of what terrorism is. There is a distinction between criminal, terroristic tactics and terrorists who are motivated by political or ideological purposes.

Oh, and yes, I am pleased the captain has been freed. And, yes... GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Have a polite day.

• OF COURSE

god bless America

• 1 decade ago

Heck yeah! We Americans are a team!

• 1 decade ago

I'm thrilled. I had prayed for him. I'm so glad his wife got a happy ending and on Easter, no less!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tara
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yeppers !!! .. I am happy that the Captain was rescued.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, of course; who wouldn't be?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.