Mary G asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

constipation relief - constipation remedies for children?

I am looking for natural constipation relief for babies. Can anyone please provide some guidance on constipation remedies for children?

There is a lot of information on the web that talks about symptoms , and I know there are drugs that are recommended - but I am sure there is a natural way.

Please let me know.

Mary

Favorite Answer

Prune juice, is good.

Full of fiber and natural.

Source(s): God's Medicine Is Best by Linda Wise. (home remedies)

You have to increase fibre intake. This means the introduction of more plant foods. Pureeing watery fruits like pears, peaches and prunes will be very helpful. Don't however let a baby have fruit juice concentrate. Or if this can't be done, there are formulas which include more fibre than others.

The diet for a baby's diarrhoea is Bananas, Rice and Applesauce. So lessening these foods should help the constipation.

• Kelly

Just like several other poster have said, prune juice is excellent for constipation. If he needs help going right now, glycerin suppositories work great for infants and small children. You should be able to get those over the counter at any pharmacy. If your son is a cheese eater, I would cut back for a few days.

I was watched a program about natural remedies a couple months ago

and apparently eating figs and senna will help with constipation. The program is called grow your own drugs :D the link is here to make the actual syrup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/growyou...

[you can buy senna from any health food shops]

I'd suggest going to see your doctor if this get worse.

as some of the others stated, prune juice is best for babies.

My child experienced severe attacks , she was bent over in pain screaming, and crying.

I was told by a doctor to give one teaspoon of mineral oil to relieve the painful cramps and it would lubricate the bowels and this will stop the cramping and helps them to go fast.

Babies are more sensitive and you must be careful with the juices, don't over do it because you could start a diaper rash from all the acid in the juices. prune juice once a week is good enough. Older ones, I gave a little mineral if I seen signs starting to arise. And of course, continue to give them healthy foods with fiber. (Oatmeal with raisins is good choice)

good luck.

• Polly

Increase fibre in diet

Avoid cooking in aluminium utensils or foil

Increase fluids

I say prune juice very effective and safe my girl friend takes prune juice when she's conspatited

buy a bottle of fletchers castoria or change the baby formula to something with fiber

fig serup- you can buy it as a drink in the chiller cabernet in supermarkets