Is "Revolution 9" The Most Brilliant of All The Songs on 'The Beatles'?

ohio, brooklyn

• Punch
    Favorite Answer

LikeGibb

Another fascinating question, I noticed that more than one of the terrific people below me sadly read your question incorrectly.. Clearly you did not ask if the piece is the most brilliant of all the songs the Beatles did, but rather is "Revolution 9" The Most Brilliant of All The Songs on 'The Beatles'? Sadly most people do not remember that the "White Album" was really the Beatles only self titled release...

One of the things that so called “Beatles Haters” forget is that the Beatles stood for much more than simply music. They led the way in so many different areas.. From fashion to longer hair for males, which must have looked quite shocking an era of crew cuts and t-shirts. Later they led the way in everything from the use of drugs to meditation in which they continued to show the young people of the day “ the way…” . Well, it's always in this fashion that I’ve regarded Revolution #9.. The Beatles were popularizing the underground world of John Cage, Edgard Varese, Musique Concrete and the Avant-Garde and exposing people to a world of sound possibilities. Ironically it was Paul McCartney that led the way with his “Carnival of Light” composition in early 1967. Paul had little to do with Revolution 9 which was the brain child of John Lennon and new girlfriend Yoko Ono… One more point I’d like to add is… lets face it, how many songs are there that are as fascinating to listen to backwards as they are forwards?

“…Turn me on dead man….”

• Its something arty. You can laud it for bringing new elements to what can be considered as a song, or directly asking questions to the audience, and making as bold a statement to artistic pretensions of the Beatles.

But their best song? Nah, don't think so.

I want to enjoy songs I listen to.

So I'd go maybe for Julia, or like someone said Blackbird or Happinees is a warm Gun.

Certainly Revolution 9 had its place on The Beatles, and the album wouldn't be the same without it, but no way is it the best song.

The song my be a more, I don't know, I guess intelligent song than the Beatles tended to do, but I'm not going to say that it is the most brilliant, or even my personal favorite.

• It's their best surreal song. I don't think it's the most brilliant on The Beatles. I give that title to either Mother Nature's Son or Cry Baby Cry.

no, its hardly even a song..

i think many beatles songs are more "brilliant" than revolution 9

revolution 9 is just scary xD

Nah, its just noise. The most brilliant song on the White Album has to be either "Happiness is a Warm Gun" or "Blackbird."

I would say 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is their most brilliant song.

• Dude

Oh Man I love that song. Its so creepy,weird, only its not a song lol. There are no Instruments used but I love that song.

• i don't know....i can't listen to it.

it's the only beatles song i haven't herd like 20 gazillion time.

I guess you can say that. I really like it. I think you have to be very open minded to appreciate it though.