Religious people - If there is a God, does He/She wants us to wreck the environment through overpopulation?

Favorite Answer

No, in fact I believe that being environmentally friendly is a Christian obligation.

Whether there is a god or not (a subject that is not even relevant to this topic at all) overpopulating the planet is not a good idea. Yet it seems that everyone is bent on having as many kids as they possibly can, as many as they selfishly want, instead of taking the responsible steps to stop unwanted and overly numerous pregnancies. It is my belief that no one should have more than two children. I have wanted three since I was a little girl, two boys and one girl, but I know that having more than one or two, or any at all because of how many everyone else seems to be having would be completely selfish, wrong and irresponsible of me. I am not very old, 23, and already some of the girls I went to high school with have had upwards of 3, 4, 5 and 6 kids. I also know a man in his 30's who has 11 different kids by 8 different women. He was court ordered to have a mandatory vasectomy after all mothers had filed for child support against him and he wasn't able to pay. It was done about 9 or 10 children to late if you ask me. And you hear stories about Ocomom and think that is such a great thing? Why? Its just like a stray cat that keeps having kittens, making more stray cats. What do we say about animals? Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered? I think women and men should have mandatory tube tying and vasectomies after they have had or made more than two children, and they should do it willingly. Its only responsible and considerate of every other person on the planet. You should be enraged when you hear about stories like octomom and that one super religious family that has upwards of 20 children. I know I am, enraged and disgusted. You think they could find something else to do than that? A puzzle or something? Work? How about thinking of others before you decide to spend your hole life pumping out units and making it even more morally difficult for people like me to even consider having children. Thanks to those carrier moms, cereal reproducers.

Source(s): atheist for birth control and pro choice

In the beginning of the bible it says that god gave humans domain over the world. That means god left us in charge of the world he created, and I beleive that when you rule over something you are also responsible to take good care of it. So god doesn't want us to wreck our planet. But overpopulation is not the thing wrecking the environment though, it is the way of life that these masses live.

• Jerry

God expects us to be good managers of our environment. The problem is not with overpopulation: God said in Genesis 9:1 "And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth."

Source(s): Holy Bible

If you follow the verse, "Go forth and multiply" which was taught during the early BC era when there wasn't many people on earth, yes, you belief ultimately leads to overpopulation, especially if you are Quiverfull.

Overpopulation is a myth. The problem is the distribution of resources, not the number of people. Having 10 children in a Western country won't affect children in Africa, and even if it did, people should still have the right to choose to have a big family.

Source(s): Agnostic

Of course not. The Catholic church needs to get their heads out of their pious a$$e$ and okay the use of birth control. Mormons may be scary religious freaks, but at least they finally gave the okay for birth control use.

Source(s): I was raised in the Mormon cult.

Overpopulation is not the problem, or the root of any problem.

God made a perfect world in Genesis Ch 1 and 2.

The only think that wrecks this world is SIN. Our first father Adam sinned, and we have contracted that deadly contagion. The only way to be free from sin is to be born again in Jesus, and even then you can still cause trouble.

If I may use the words of the Shorter Catechism...

"Q19: What is the misery of that estate whereinto man fell?

A: All mankind by their fall lost communion with God, are under his wrath and curse, and so made liable to all miseries in this life, to death itself, and to the pains of hell for ever."

Unredeemed mankind is under every curse of the Law of Moses because we have all transgressed that law. So God sent His Son Jesus into the world to redeem those that were under the Law, so that those who are saved by faith in Jesus are no longer under the curse of the Law, because, as the Scripture says,

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree." Galatians 3v13

This word is only for the redeemed. If you are not saved by grace through faith in Jesus, you are still under the wrath of God.

Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6v37

Go to Jesus. He is only a prayer away. Be saved. Turn to Jesus. Turn, turn, and repent, and follow the Son of God, the only Saviour.

"Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10v13

Source(s): The Bible
  • Daken

I think that they use the "end times" argument as an excuse to not take responsibility for the crud they have done to the planet.

Yes. That's why, instead of going to church every Sunday, I stay home emptying aerosol cans and dumping motor oil on my lawn. God likes it.

How vain and arrogant of you to consider that. Many atheists and their attitudes are just disgusting at times. How can you live with yourself being such a know-it-all and a fool at the same time?

Insulting people on their most cherished days; what cause this in people? Jealousy? hatefulness? Lack of fulfillment?

---------

The Church I belong to dedicates time, money, manpower to environmental cleanup, issues, etc

I know of others as well.

A la chingada..!!!