confederate flag....?

why is it that some african americans are offended by the confederate (rebel)flag? i mean it is just a flag and it is 1 of my favorites and i can't even where a bandanna or any thing that has the confederate flag on it!how messed up is that??

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The Confederate battle flag, the one with the red "X" on it with stars sewn onto the arms of the "X", is not the real Confederate flag. However, it's the one most often associated with the Confederacy and with the "peculiar institution" of slavery. I don't think it'd be such a red flag - pun not intended - to blacks had it not been prominently displayed in years past at Klan gatherings and during the Civil Rights era of the 1960s and 70s. It was a blatant and deliberate insult directed at blacks.

The Confederate flag took on four forms during the Civil War - none of which looked like the one with the "X" - also known as the Cross of St. Andrew. There was the "Bonny Blue", a single white star on a blue background. Then there were the First, Second and Third National. They did not depict the red"X". The First National is the one commonly called the "Stars and Bars". The battle flag actually started out as a naval insignia.

It is unfortunate, but racists still flaunt the battle flag in an insulting manner today - and it's understandable that black folks would be offended. I think if one wishes to honor one's ancestors who happened to have been Confederates, one might display the Bonnie Blue or the First National - they're legitimate, but you probably won't encounter the knee-jerk angry reaction.

• icabod
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The flag represents the confederacy. The confederacy had in it's constitution the right for slavery to exist.

The Vice-president of the confederacy, Alexander Stephens explain uit this way:

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the ***** is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.a...

It is also the symbol of armed armed revolt against the United States of America. A revolt that lead to the murder of a President.

Certainly there are a number of revisionist interpretations that attempt to see the flag

"as a symbol of Southern culture.... When a [Southerner] sees the Confederate flag, he can taste barbecue with white beans. He can smell magnolia in the air. He can see old men standing on Main Street reading their newspapers and selling their homegrown vegetables...and thus the fragrance of magnolias wafts in the breeze."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n36...

Ignored is the flag as a banner of the slaveholder and Jim Crow. The flag of segregation, lynchings, the KKK, and the deaths of American soldiers fighting to preserve the Constitution.

Apologists claim the flag is a symbol of "white pride" or Southern pride" or that it's "just a flag" Wonder if they would support an Al Qaeda symbol at Ground Zero? Would they say "just a flag" ?

• 1 decade ago

You are wrong to use the phrase "just a flag." It is one of

those flags that men have fought and died for. It should be

granted respect, even by those who might not agree with

the principles for which it stands. And it should not be worn

as a bandanna or do-rag.

Those who find it "offensive" are, of course, supported by

the Politically Correct, who have never let reason or tradition

get in the way of their petty little notions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.