Laptop - Charger keeps laptop on, but doesn't charge battery?

Hey. When ever I go on my laptop (recently) the charger doesn't charge the battery, but instead it just powers the laptop. This is becoming inconvenient for me. Is there a way to change the settings. I'm using Vista (unfortunately) and the make is HP.

Best Answer

You should try taking the batter out and then putting it back in, that may help the contacts get a better connection. It is possible that your battery is at the end if its life. If you have had your laptop for a while, that may be the case. Its really easy to order another one online and pit it in.

I would leave the laptop charging for a few hours and see if stil fails as you do not say how long it was charged. I had a similar issue with a laptop I had not used for months. Absolutely nothing. Not even the adapter light would go on so I let it charge for a long period. Do you know whether the adapter is working? You only mention you checked the voltage. What were the results? Could be you need a new battery or a new adapter. One of the 2 as I would not say it is the actual laptop at fault. It could also be the cable that plugs into the adapter itself, maybe a blown fuse. You should be able to narrow the issue down to 1 of three things.

If that fails then I can only say they tend to last about 300 to 500 charges.

They are only lithium ion cells after all. No kryptonite here...

I suggest you consider getting a new one if it is over 18 months old.

This is probably not a Vista problem. My first instinct would be that the battery is kaput, but that wouldn't happen suddenly, as your question implies. The only other thing I can think of is a BIOS option, although I've never heard of one that will disable the battery charging function. Does the battery light come on when the battery is inserted and the computer is plugged in? If not, the battery is not making a connection. If so, I'm thinking your battery is shot.

u need a new battery.

The battery may be dead...