What age do you tell your child that Santa, easter bunny arent real?

I was just wondering when do you tell them the truth? what age

Favorite Answer

I think you should tell them when they seriously start asking.

When kids are attending school, they talk to other kids. I think about 1st grade (maybe, depending on maturity level and that of his his friends), but certainly by 2nd grade, you should probably tell him. You don't want to ruin all the magic for your kids, but there will be kids who know there isn't such a thing and they will make fun of your kid for still believing in them. Really sucks, but there's always at least one kid who knows way more than he should and can't wait to tell someone.

We never pretended any of them were real. We don't celebrate Christmas, as our religion has plenty enough holidays without incorporating those of others. So here are your answers: What age did you tell your child they werent real? We always taught our child that Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc, were like any other belief - it's up to the person whether they believe, and it's inappropriate of us to say otherwise. Did your child find out on their own from someone else? She always knew. o r do you keep everything alive and continue on telling your child its real? Our holidays are plenty "alive." and how many of you still mark 'From Santa' on your christmas gifts? We don't exchange Christmas gifts. Now, to turn your question around. You stated: but than again you have that one kid that makes them upset by telling them that all of it is not real. Our child had to spend her younger years dealing with people who assumed she believed in something that doesn't exist, or who told her "Santa isn't bringing you anything" because we don't celebrate Christmas. She was also told she must be a bad girl, because Santa visits "all" good children. Hurt works both ways. All the best.

• connie

This is something your don't do.

All too soon they will grow up and from the knowledge they have gained each and ever-day, will realize the Easter Bunny is not real. The same goes for Santa as well.

Enjoy your child every moment of everyday. Smile at the things they believe in and even the make believe world around them.

For one day all too soon, there will be silence and only fond memories left, where fun and laughter once stood.

( Connie Mom of 4 and 5th. Grade Teacher )

My daughter found out when she was 10 HOWEVER she 'never' told me. (she's now 25 and I just asked her about this and she told me she saw a TV being delivered and it was from Santa on Christmas morning - she figured it out - but again, never said anything). Now we have a 10 year old son that still believes in Easter Bunny, Santa, Tooth Fairy and we are going to let him have that. We simply say "it's magic" - I say never tell them unless it really becomes a HUGE issue with the kids.

Note: Most kids in school will try to tell your young ones these "magic" characters aren't real...they did my son. It's just a part of growing up.

I don't think you should actually tell them it's not real. Most kids figure it out on their own in late elementary school (I was 8 or 9 when I figured it out, and it wasn't a traumatic experience or anything) . I personally think that it should always be known to the kids that it's just "make believe", but that's just me.

I wouldn't go on age. When they come up to you and say "Mom is the easter bunny, or santa, or the tooth fairy real, i want the honest truth?" It depends when they're ready.

Don't. They will figure it out themselves. Plus, it makes it more joyful around holidays if they believe, "Santa comes tonight" "The Easter Bunny comes tonight" Hope I helped!

Really its just when they decide and understand it. I have children that know and they tell the younger ones that they are not real, but they dont believe them, so it depends on your kid, they may see you one day wrapping a present, and realize that when you say santa gave it to them, they know he is not real. So you can just go with the flow, and when they know, then they know and thats fine.

Source(s): Im a mother of young 9 kids

What do you mean ?Santa & the Easter Bunny are real...right?...right?You just ruined my day...thanks!

• Leah

Maybe around 9-10 not really sure. I have 2 sons and I never introduced them to any of that stuff.

So why the thumbs down? Because I won't lie to my kids about a fake azz man in a suit. Someone tell me what this so called Santa has to do with the true meaning of christmas, or what rabbits and eggs have to do with Easter. It ain't nothing but a big joke!