Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Which book/novel as per you would make a good read?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand.

Naive self-interest is detrimental to society (and, in most cases, to you), but so is selflessness since it rewards naive self-interest in others.

What any civilized society demands of its citizens is not selflessness, but enlightened self-interest. If you don't look out for yourself, it is unreasonable to expect anyone else to consistently do it for you.

When anyone tells you that it is wrong for you to consider your own long-term best interests, you can be absolutely certain that they are not considering them either. They are instead looking to exploit you to their own advantage and should never be trusted.

Source(s): Nontheist.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you like fairy tales and tall stories, the Old Testament of the Christian Bible, the Torah, or the Koran are for you. These three tomes are masterpieces of literary fiction.

If you like non-fiction that takes a scathing and unjaundiced look at the chronic boil called "religion" and its toxic effect on humanity, read Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great." Personally, I think it's better than "The God Delusion."

P.S. You asked the question in Religion and Spirituality, so you're getting an answer within the R&S parameters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Notes from a Big Country - by Bill Bryson.

• 1 decade ago

Definitely not "The God Delusion". And I'm an atheist and still I think it's crap. Although still a couple level above the Bible.

If you're want my serious recommendation, try Nietzsche's "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". Yes, he was an atheist, but a remorseful one... Nietzsche makes today's atheists look like simpletons.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hustler Magazine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.