how can one be just "muslim"..neither sunni or shia?

these are the only 2 sects in islam..the rest are hogwash...

you either follow teachings from sunni scholors or shia scholors

i dont believe that you can be labeled as simply as just 'muslim" ...you are either sunni or shia

the people who say they are just muslim, neither sunni or shia say that they only follow the pillars of islam and nothing more...

there are many aspects of islam besides the pillars and if you consider abu bakr as a great man..then your on the sunni side.....if you highly recognize the 12 imams..then your shia

wat do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

17:46 We place shields over their hearts, that they should not understand it, and deafness in their ears. If you mention your Lord in the QURAN ALONE, they run away turning their backs in aversion

Those who do not acknowledge the hereafter with certainty will not understand the Quran, and they will claim that the Quran is difficult or even impossible to understand on its own. See 54:17,22,32,and 40. Traditional translations and commentaries somehow separate the word “Quran” from the adjective (wahdahu = alone, only) that follows it. They translate it as "Lord alone in the Quran." Though there are many verses emphasizing God's oneness (see 39:45), since the adjective wahdehu is used not after the word Rab (Lord) but after the word Quran. In Arabic if one wants to say ‘Quran alone,’ the only way of saying it is "Quranun wahdahu." the word wahdahu is used for God in 7:70; 39:45; 40:12,84 and 60:4.

12:111 In their stories is a lesson for the people of intelligence. It is not a hadith that was invented, but an authentication of what is already present, a detailing of all things, and a guidance and mercy to a people who acknowledge

In this verse, God the Most Wise, rejects both the "hadith" and the basic excuse for accepting it as a source of Islam. No excuse is accepted from the followers of hadith in this world, nor on the Day of Judgment. The followers of fabricated hadiths claim that the Quran is not sufficiently detailed! They thus reject God's repeated assertion that the Quran is "complete, perfect, and sufficiently detailed" (6:19,38,114), and thereby justify the creation of 60 volumes of hadith, and a library full of contradictory teachings that are supposed to complete the Quran. By reflecting on 12:111 above, one can see God's answer to those fabricators and their followers. God informs us that we do not need fabricated hadith; that the Quran as a sufficiently detailed guide, is all we need. The Quran is the only "ahsan al-hadith" (best statement) to be followed (39:23). See 6:112-116; 11:1; 31:6; 33:38; 45:6; 52:34.

Ya I thought about this too and kinda agree with u. I mean we should just simply be Muslims, but can't be. The only time I'll ever say I'm Sunni though is when distinguishing I'm not shiaa. I don't have a problem with shiaas at all, but infallible imams? I don't care what anyone says, but that's shirk to the fullest. I never can comprehend how someone can beleive that and think it's ok in Islam.

I agree. You can't say you're just Muslim. Either you believe that Ali (A.S.) was the rightful first Caliph of Islam, or you believe that Abu Bakr, Umar and Usman were the rightful Caliphs cuz apparantly, they were the freinds of the Prophet. You can't say you don't believe in either. What are you gonna say on the Day of Judgement? There are two main sects of Islam. Just face it, you have to choose between the two...

God bless you for asking this question!

I don't think one can be neither.I really don't.Of course when someone asks you you say you're a Muslim.BUT it is what you believe that makes a sunni or shia.And it's inevitable.They think just because you say you're sunni you're not a Muslim and you're a bit different.A Muslim,even if he insists that he's just a Muslim,is either Sunni,or shia.based on their beliefs.For example,if he believes in the four caliphs he is sunni even if he/she doesn't think like that and says I'm a Muslim.But in a lot of countries,you don't have to say you're sunni or shia because almost all believe in the same things.so what's the point??Like I've said before,it's a matter of distinguishment not anything else.And I don't understand why some people say they're just Muslims when they practice Islam the same way for example sunnis practice Islam.Are they saying they're different??whne they're exactly one??

If u r busy following teachings of the sunni scholars or the shia scholars, then who will follow the Quran or the authentic Hadhits. I think Abu Bakar(R.A), Ali(R.A), Fathima(R.A) as very good people, they are actually, but who comes first, it's Prophet(s.a.w), he is our messenger, to whom was the glorious Quran revealed.

Prophet(s.a.w) said on his speech,which was delivered when he performed his hajj, that his ways and the Quran will be there to guide the ummah who will come after his death(i.e us). So read the Quran(translation) and the authentic hadhits, and follow it, if u do ur a muslim.

If you're Muslim- then you're Sunni. Because Muslims should always follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad.

Source(s): Peace be upon him. (I'll ignore the thumb-downs, they do no harm to me..)

Why do all those who convert to Islam choose the Sunni version?. Simply because many of Shiaism has major lies about the companions of beloved Prophet (s.a.w) and many false beliefs which a truthful student of Islam can never agree with. Just listen to one of the convert also now a Muslim scholar and a caller towards Allah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCH9tIIM2k

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Well you are right to some extant, your either sunni or shia but whenever someone asks me what are you? i say im a muslim. Because i believe that any name you put for yourself other than muslim is considered a sect. And islam is against sects. So im not a shafi, hanbali maliki salafi or a sufi. Im just a plain muslim.

Assalamualaikum

I'm a Muslim only (neither Shia nor Sunni)

How I can be this way? Well I explain it here at the following:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao5Cj...

Source(s): Muslim only

follow what satisfy Allah and leave what makes him angry, either you found that in the Shia or the sunnies behaviors. when the prayers comes, and you find a sunnies or Shia mosque, pray with any of them that if they pray to Allah and believe that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.