Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Does this novel idea sound good?

Okay, I've posted the begining of the novel on this site, and well, I don't really care about what people think of my writing, that will improve when I get to high school.

Here's a brief synopsis:

Maya has just died in a car accident, also taking one of her sons lives, and possibly the other son's life. So, when she wakes up in her bedroom from when she was a teenager, she's a little freaked out. Everything becomes clear (well, as clear as a situation like this could be...) as her guardian angel walks in and tells her he has given her a second chance at life. She is able to fix her mistakes (e.g. getting pregnant at 17, not talking to her parents and one of her sisters for a matter of years) and not die at an early age.

**spoiler alert** (in case you really care)

In the end, her guardian angel, Jonathon, asks her if she's learned anything, and of course she says yes. Next thing she knows, she's back to her former life, the day before the accident. Jonathon tells her that life isn't perfect, you can't work with time you don't have. The only reason he took her back in time was to teach her that. She continues on to call her sister and her mom, and work with the time she's got to make her life good.

Also, could you give me some ideas for the name of the novel?

Oh, I've written about 5 or 6 full pages in size 12 font so far, should I continue?

Please remember that I'm 13.

Thanks everyone who is giving a positive answer, it puts a huge smile on my face :)

Here's the beginging:

I remember the day I died quite clearly.

It started off like any other day. I woke up, got showered, and got dressed in my black dress pants that flow out, a light brown V-neck shirt with a white lace tank top underneath. I brushed my hair, got my sons their breakfast and dropped them off at school. I headed to work as soon as they walked onto the playground. Work was boring, as usual. Sitting in an office, I now realize, wasn’t a great choice for my life. For most people, it would be too late to realize that, but not for me.

I left work and picked my sons, Knox and Caleb, up from school. Knox was making fun of Caleb in the back seat. You know, like poking him and stuff. As I tried to stop Knox, my car swerved on the water from the recent rain. Next thing I knew, another car collided with mine.

(continued in next add detail)

Next thing I knew, I was in immense pain, sitting there, with glass covering every inch of my body that wasn’t covered in blood. I looked down to see a large shard of my windshield sticking out of my chest.

My sight started to fade.

After a while, I started hearing sirens and muffled voices. I realized much later that I was at a hospital. I hear one voice very close to me:

“The older boy is dead. The younger one doesn’t have much hope. They weren’t wearing their seatbelts.” a paramedic, I realized.

Knox? Knox is….dead?

“NO!” I try to scream, but no sound comes out, I don’t think my lips even moved. Things were fading to black, as was the pain. I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. I wanted to ask about the passengers of the other car, but I couldn’t.

I couldn’t think about never seeing Knox smile again. I couldn’t think about never seeing him walk again, never seeing his dirty blonde hair tangled from the wind as he ran. I couldn’t.

I wouldn't.

Max, her husband, was a workaholic.

As the above thing says, her sons names are Knox and Caleb. Her sister's are Breanna (Bree) and Kylee.

• Erunno
    Favorite Answer

I usually find these questions from Contacts who star them. Sometimes they are complete trash ideas, sometimes they aren't.

Yours may be in the middle. Here is why:

Why it seems "trash": because it's cliche. People waking up and getting a second chance at life is seen tons of places in novels, movies, etc. ("Christmas Story" "It's a Wonderful Life" Simpsons did it too).

I do have one thing though...

She dies in a car accident, and has to relive her life removing her mistakes. Then you say she finds herself at the beginning of the story (the accident).

Maybe the story should lead to the day before (instead of just jolting) like each chapter a few more years of her life. But that'd be a huge novel, depending on when she dies.

Do her sons in the accident have anything to do with it? I'm just asking. It's good to have many characters, but will they ultimately help her discover her truths? (it doesn't matter if they do or don't, just asking).

I'd be interested in seeing where you take this, and how you are writing it.

If you want, message me sometime under the "Contact" link and do the e-mail.

It's an idea that's been in plenty of movies (e.g. the movie that came out Friday...). But you have to power to make it yours. Maya is a good interesting name. The sons names should be just as unique, maybe something like Dray and Scaylar? Also to make Maya's life even worse try adding that her husband left her after her second child was born, and maybe Maya has to keep up more than one job just to keep the money flowing? You should take a story as far as you can before you give up on it.

I like the idea. If you ever get stuck you can watch a disney movie, (sorry forgot the name) where a granddaught turns her grandmother and grandfather into a seventeen year old. It's good and i love the thinking outside the box.

I also read this a bit ago but i didn't get to answer because my internet wasn't working very well so i know that you said that you were 13 and so am I! Way cool!

Well I read the summery and I don't mean to crush you at all but it sounds a little typical. Try to make this story stand out from the others in a different way. Good job though I'm 13 too so you might be not so excited to hear this advice but I want to be a writer too :)

If you really think about it, everything has already been written so the fact that it seems cliche doesn't matter. Make the story unique.

I think that you should keep writing and don't worry about what any one else says.

The title should have something to do with the story; something that really stands out in the book. [I'm not very good with titles myself but if you can't think of anything now, don't worry you'll have it by the time you finish.]

Good luck

I really like Joshua B's suggestion. You can have her kill the detective accidentally when she's trying to get away or you can have her really injure the detective which provides a mortal enemy for the two of them and a unique twist to the plot of a second book. But if the girl does hurt or kill the detective make it so that the frenemy has to sort of convince her to come and run away (one of their more friendly moments).

Omg that sounds better than my story! I love it you should keep on writing! Um, you could call the novel Life With Consequences or My Second Life?

Actually, It sounds impressively original for a 13 year old

Well, you've got a very intriguing start! :) Keep it up, friend!

Source(s): A fellow writer and aspiring author

omg.

i love it!

please post more!

or more of the acutall stor!!!