Here are some tips:
1. Soak your nails in warm milk. It strengthens and whitens nails, and makes them grow faster.
2. DO NOT cut your cuticles. I did once and my nails grew soooo slow. But do push cuticles back with a q-tip, it helps nails grow.
3. Always coat your nails with some nails hardener or clear polish. This really makes nails strong, and strong nails=long nails!
4. When your nails start to grow longer, use a nail file or emery board to keep your nails in shape so they won't break. Never file down the sides of nails, as it can lead to infection and seriously weaken your nails. And never file back and forth, in a seesaw motion, as it can cause the nail layers to split. So always file in one direction only, at a 45 degree angle under the nail. Make sure your nails are dry, and then gently smooth away any rough edges and file them into a nice even shape.
5. Once a week, soak your bare nails in a bowl of olive oil for 10 minutes. Then wipe away excess oil with a cotton ball.
6. Never use nails as a tool. Find the right tool for the job rather than risk having to grow your nails from scratch.
7. When washing dishes always wear latex gloves, as soaking your hands in water weakens nails.
8. Remember to eat 2 portions of protein a day. Nails are basically made of protein, so make sure you eat a lot of it! Calcium, minerals, and vegetables/fruits are all also very essential in your diet in order to grow healthy nails. Meat, fish, dairy, soy, and beans will all help your nails to grow strong and healthy.
9. Weekly manicures really make your nails stronger and grow faster. You can go to the salon or do it at home. Here are some directions:
~ Soak your nails in some warm water for five minutes. Pat dry.
~ Exfoliate hands by rubbing a mixture of salt, soap, and olive oil all over your hands. Rinse well. Pat dry.
~ Rub some cuticle cream into cuticles and push them back with an orangewood stick.
~ File your nails in one direction using an emery board.
~ Clean under the nails with the end of an orangewood stick.
~ Buff your nails with a shiner.
~ Smooth on some Aloe Vera cream.
~ Coat nails with a layer of base coat, 2 layers of colored polish, and a layer of top coat.
10. Never bite nails. It weakens them and that causes nails to break! Plus, gnarled nails are unattractive and definitely a sorry sign.
And yes, Palmolive soap does help, its great for the cuticles! Also, lemon juice is great for the nails! It whitens, shines, and strengthens nails and gives them a natural glow!
Hope this all helps! Good luck in getting long, strong, and elegant nails!