ASTRONOMY HOMEWORK HELP!!!?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
OK I NEED HELP WITH MY HOMEWORK. I HAVE TRIED 3 DIFFERENT WAYS AND THIS IS MY LAST ATTEMPT AND THIS IS THE MESSAGE IT TELL ME WHEN I GET IT WRONG: Recall that, according to Hubble’s ...show more
Update : ok so in section 1: i believe fact c. because its part of our local ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
I really hate to just give the answers because I believe it is more important for you to learn, not simply have the facts to momentarily answer your homework questions. Tell me (via Edit>Additional Details in your question) which ones you THINK belongs in which section and why. And then I will edit my response to tell you if you are correct or incorrect and why.

--------------------------------------...
Added: No sorry. C does not match 1. The fact that the Andromeda galaxy (a local group member) is moving towards us contradicts or does not support the expansion of the universe. This is because the members of the Local Group are gravitationally bound (for now) and their own peculiar motions relative to one another is stronger than cosmological expansion. Incidentally, the Coma Cluster is NOT a part of the local group, and is not even close to us. You may be confusing our local group with the local supercluster of galaxies which our local group AND the Coma cluster both belong to.

In the case of section 3, I guess you are basically right, except perhaps for B. F: there are few galaxies moving towards us outside the local group. They would be a rare exception to the expansion of the universe. E: is an untrue statement. There is no difference in the speed of the galaxies in our summer or winter. B: is only true in an overall average way. The speed of recession is dependent on the distance of the galaxies receding from us.

Section 2: D: you have backwards. The further away the galaxy is the faster it is receding. And essentially, a galaxy twice as far will recede twice as fast as a galaxy half the distance. This IS how the expansion of the universe was deduced. G: is an untrue statement. The type of galaxy has nothing to do with how fast it is moving.

Since you made an effort to at least try to understand, I will now give the (to the best of my knowledge) correct answers:

Section 1:
A, B, D

Section 2:
C,
F (only if F is a fact which I am not sure how many if any irregular galaxies outside our local group are actually moving towards us. They're not very far outside of the local group if that is the case)

Section 3: Non-facts (fallacies) do not support nor contradict the expansion of the universe.
E, G, and probably F if no facts actually support it.

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
thank you
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (1)

• Ant Roc 42 answered 5 months ago
    Here's the correct answers you both have it a little wrong but close!

Supports
    Coma clusters, galaxies 200ml away, measured rate of expansion is same in all directions.

Contradicts
    Irregular galaxies outside local group moving towards us, Galaxy speeds are faster in summer, Spiral galaxies move away from us 10%,
    Neither The Andromeda galaxy a member os our local group
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock