Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Alligator Gumbo or Turtle Soup Anyone? Do You Care?

I've got a question, do you feel the same way towards reptiles and bugs(insects and 8 leggers and more than 10 legs). The way you feel about a chicken or cow getting eaten and other mammals.

Do they tug at your heart strings as much as baby calf would or are mammalian friends.

Basically I'm asking does it bother you as much if reptile or something not fuzzy,furry(excluiding spider and certain catipillars) or feathery get eaten. You see protest on dairy farms, what about alligator farms?

Do you care if a lobster/crab or clam gets eaten, compared to a mammal?

I'm not a flower child, and I'm not troll first poster, I just asking do you really fell the same way about a reptile that you do about a mammal.

Baby calf vs baby alligator. Both are going to be eaten you can choose one not to be eaten. Which do you choose and why?

Favorite Answer

I feel bad no matter what dies. Im a vegetarian, and I can't even kill bugs in the house, because it's a living creature just like me. I usually just end up running away from them lol, or catching them and letting them go outside.

And I feel just as bad when lobsters/crabs (seafood) is killed, because it was still a living creature, and feels the same pain as anything else.

I do feel the same way about reptiles, because they feel pain too. But theres something in me saying to pick the baby calf, probably because I'm more familiar with the cows. And I think burgers are more popular than alligator, but I don't know. If I was a little more familiar with alligator torture, this would be a harder decision for me, but I think both deaths are equally wrong. Neither one wants to die, but people feel the need to take it into their hands to end the life of that innocent CHILD because they want something new to eat.

KawaiiPOP♥

No; I'm sure most of us don't care *equally* for all animals, but that's hardly hypocritical (nor is it to say that animal rights can be forgotten for some creatures).

Yes; I do think the baby cow probably ranks higher on the "cuteness" factor than some little alligator (who may well be contemplating making off with someone's finger) - but I think I choose the baby alligator for survival, it would likely have a better chance of a wild alligator life than the domesticated cow would.

Though if it would make you happy I can concede that I don't cry if I step on a "bug" - though I go out of my way not to do so.

EDIT: Actually, [ironically] while I would not tolerate a wild mammal or bird in my home - I'm quite happy to let be the small 1 foot lizard continue to lurk between my kitchen and lounge room (for I'm sure he is doing no harm).

I will eat the baby calf because I like the taste better.

I like reptiles just as much as mammals...

I am, on the other hand, terrified of spiders.

Troll. Vegans and Vegetarians care about all animals that can feel pain or suffer. That's just like justifying torturing a child because you said he looked ugly.

• StephT

It makes me sad to see the doomed lobsters in the tank at the grocery store.

No it doesn't seem as bad, although I would hate to eat it myself.

Shut up, your going around spreading your hippie vegetation agenda.