Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Question about military and West point?

Okay so I'm thinking about going into the military and possibly going to West Point. So can someone who has gone through the military and/or west point give me insight to what its like and what people are the best candidates to be sucessful in the militay.

FYI:I'm a girl

Thanks

Best Answer

West Point brings people from all walks of life from all 50 states. Each person has a unique experience. I did not attend USMA. My dad worked as faculty at USMA. I commissioned through Army ROTC, branched Aviation, and I went to Flight School with a dozen or so women from USMA. I was impressed by them.

I suggest maybe reading 'Absolutely American: Four Years at West Point', watching National Geographic's DVD 'Surviving West Point', or scheduling a visit to the school for the best info on life at USMA.

As far as being a good commissioned officer in the military, it really depends on the individual's personal drive and work ethic. I know it sounds simple but some officers don't "get it". Just work hard, continually strive to learn more and more, look out for the troops under you, don't screw people over to look good, and get to know your fellow Soldiers (whether they be your NCOs or peers).

I had no situation looking this preparation on the USMA at West factor webvsite. For starters: the present enrollment is around 4,000 (the appropriate selection could be found on the "abode" web site. the student/school ratio is approximately a million/14 to a million/18 (a million professor in line with 14 to 18 scholars) The admissions standards can be found on the area Undergraduate expenses are actually not appropriate, because of the fact the army pays all training/expenses etc. plus provides each and each cadet an allowance of around $6,000. bypass to their web site for the courses presented: West factor graduates acquire a Bachelor of technology degree upon polishing off their courses The athletics, club extracurricular activities are the main effective presented in the US (see the internet web site under) There are actually not any differences between in/out expenses, as, as quickly as lower back, the army funds the full 4 years. No scholars stay off campus.

You had better be well above the average in school & have a connections to a senator or congressman, you'll need someones letter of recomendation. Best of luck to you, it is a very demanding program.

I attended West Point from 2001-2003 and I can give you a little insight as to what I experienced there.

First: Being a female is not a crutch! Don't expect a different experience because of that and don't use it as a crutch. We were far more impressed by the little 5 foot nothing 100 lbs. female that could ruck with the rest of us than the one that fell out of ruck mar chessand expected sympathy. Be A Soldier!

Second: When I applied to West Point, I started the application process at the beginning of my senior year. Contact your senator, congressman, or apply for a presidential nomination (if you qualify) very early in the fall. You need this to get the appointment to the Academy. I had a 3.4GPA in HS and that was still on the low side compared to some of my classmates at West Point. SAT: 1290 (660V, 630M), I don't know anything about the new SAT test scores. There is also a pcandidatephysical test which includes: 2-minutes of ppush ups 2-minutes of sit-ups, a basketball throw (from your knees), a 300-meter shuttle-run (timed). Most importantly, they are looking for a person of high moral fiber, dedication to the service, and integrity. You will live and breathe the Honor Code: A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, nor tolerate those who do. I personally know of classmates who received honor boards for "borrowing" a classmates calculator, pencil, cover (hat) without prior consent. I can't stress that enough. Your classmates and fellow soldiers will want to be able to believe everything you say, and it makes everything easier if they know that you have that integrity.

Third: Plebe Year (the first year of West Point) is hell. We were issued high speed government computers but weren't allowed to listen to music for the first semester. We had to maintain military bearing at all times outside of our own room. So on the way to class, going to the latrine, going to smoke a cigarette, and even on the weekends, plebes must move expeditiously and in a military manner (I don't know if they brought pinging back since I left, but that's where you have to walk along the walls, and pivot at every corner). Plebe knowledge was essential to survival and a somewhat pleasant existence. That included table duties at mandatory meals (breakfast and lunch, dinner on Thursdays), you will know the entire football schedule because every upper cclass manthat is not in your chain of command will be greeted by, "Beat Louisville (or whoever), Sir/Ma'am!" You will also have to recognize everyone in your chain of command because they will have specific greetings for you as well. Example: For my team leader (Yuk/Corporal) "One shot, one kill corporal!", For my squad leader (Cow/Sergeant) "Bang! You're dead Sergeant!" For my platoon sergeant/leader/other squad leaders/team leaders in my platoon, "Cold hard steel, Sir/Sergeant/Corporal!" For others in my company, "Go Vikings, Sir/Sergeant/Corporal!"

As you can tell, you have to remember a lot of people and recognize them before they figure you've lost it, or get ready for some wall time. It was all good for character development and attentiveness. But also, this is all on top of your rigorous academic schedule (First semester: General Chemistry I, Composition, History of the World, Discrete Dynamic Systems, Military Development, Survival Swimming, General Psychology, Student Success) (Second Semester: General Chemistry II, Intro to Computing, Literature, History of the World, Calculus I, Map Reading, Military Development II, CCombative Gymnastics).

Alot will be asked of you, and there won't be any room for doubt or confusion, you will step up to the learning curve very quickly.

As for the military... I left West Point in 2003 shortly after we began invading Afghanistan. I wasn't comfortable with my role in the military at the time and decided it was best to not be there if I wasn't 100% committed. I completed my degree at Georgia Tech and now... I am re-enlisting in the military for the Warrant Officer Flight Program. That being said, the military is a great life-style. After living both military and civilian life, I prefer the military. I wish I would have stayed at West Point now that I have decided to make a career out of the Army, but when it boils down to it, your decision will be based on your sense of duty, dedication to the nation, and awareness of yourself, your ambitions, and want you want out of life.

If you can get into West Point, realize that it's an honor to be appointed and you should cherish it as such. Regardless of whether you enlist or go thru WP, you will be surrounded by brothers AND ssistersin arms dedicated to defending this nation and maintaining the highest standards, because standards save lives. You will make some of the best friends you've ever had and forge a bond closer than you knew possible. I still talk to my old classmates from WP who are now Captains and 1LTs in the Army, some I haven't seen for 5-6 years, but we keep in touch. High