Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the car seat laws in North Carolina?

What are the car seat laws for North Carolina? My son is almost 7 months old and is out weighing his baby car seat.(Which only goes up to 22lbs) Should I buy a new car seat? What kind is he aloud to be in??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

North Carolina state law requires that all children who are under age 8 and under 80 pounds ride in a properly used car seat or booster seat. Children may be moved to a seat belt when they reach age 8 or 80 pounds, whichever comes first. If a lap/shoulder belt is not available for a child who weighs more than 40 pounds, a properly fitted lap belt may be used, since booster seats should not be used with lap-only seat belts. North Carolina state law also requires that car seats be installed in the rear seat if the child is less than 5 years old and weighs less than 40 pounds, and if the vehicle has a passenger side airbag and a rear seat, unless the car seat is specifically designed for use with air bags

• 1 decade ago

you need to get a convertible car seat that rear faces to 35 pounds and then can forward face to either 40, 50, or 65 pounds. 3 good seats are the Cosco Scenera, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, or The First Years True Fit which harness to the 3 respective weights listed above. You CAN NOT forward face a child until they are 1 year AND 20 pounds. It is the law in most states but in state where there is no law they have what's called a proper usage clause and currently there is no seat on the market that can be forward facing before 1 year and 20 pounds.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What are the car seat laws in North Carolina?

What are the car seat laws for North Carolina? My son is almost 7 months old and is out weighing his baby car seat.(Which only goes up to 22lbs) Should I buy a new car seat? What kind is he aloud to be in??

Source(s): car seat laws north carolina: https://biturl.im/Br4dJ
  • 1 decade ago

The previous answer was correct. However, you really should stop by a fire department and have them check it out. They will check it for free and it is better to have someone see it first hand. He will need to be rear facing for at least a year.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kak22
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You need a convertible carseat - check out car-seat.org for great information from carseat techs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.