Where's the cheapest place I can get a four-string bass guitar?

I'm looking to start up bass, but I don't own a guitar. I have someone to teach me, but he doesn't have a spare. I don't want to spend $200 on a bass guitar and end up thinking it's too hard. So I wanted to know if anyone has known any good offers for one. I'm looking to get one for anywhere... show more I'm looking to start up bass, but I don't own a guitar. I have someone to teach me, but he doesn't have a spare. I don't want to spend $200 on a bass guitar and end up thinking it's too hard. So I wanted to know if anyone has known any good offers for one. I'm looking to get one for anywhere between Free (duh!) and $80. I suppose I could get someone to let me use theire credit card for an online offer.

If it helps, I live in upstate New York, so anywhere near there that has any offers would be great.

In advance, Thanks!