A R asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

A question about the sale of prescription drugs...?

Is there some law that only allows for American drugs to be sold in the US and Canadian drugs to be sold in Canada? How come they have different names for the same thing?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Each country has their own rules for selling drugs. In the US, the FDA, Food and Drug Administration, must approve a drug before they are availiable to the public.

Canada has their own set of rules and standards and for deciding which drugs can be sold in their counry also.

But there is no law making only making American drugs to be sold in the US and Canadian drugs to be sold in Canada. Drug companies are private, so whether they are a Canadian or American company, they can sell their product wherever they want to, as long as the governement will allow them to sell their product in their country.

The sale of drugs is decided on a country by country basis by the country's government. And becuase of the different standards, that means that the same drug, which is illegal to sell in Canada, may be legal to sell to the public in America.

In America, a drug might be called a different name than in Canada, becuase the formula for the drug might be different different. If my drug has an element in it that is not allowed in Canada but is allowed in America, then I might remove that element from the drug, and sell the version without the element in Canada and keep the version with the element for America. Both versions are essentially the same, but I might market the versions differently with a different name,

In many instances, that's the case for why the same drug has different names different countries.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.