• Computers & Internet >
  • Hardware >
  • Laptops & Notebooks
  • Computers & Internet >
  • Hardware >
  • Laptops & Notebooks

Toshiba mouse pad locked, How do I unlock it?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I accidently locked the mouse pad thing on my bro's laptop and I need to unlock it before my bro kicks my *** On the My Controls, and the mouse settings, it's only for the ...show more
Update : ahh, thank you so much!!
Best Answer
1. The touchpad and external mouse drivers should be able to work together. Just make sure that you have the touchpad enabled. To see if you have the touchpad enabled, hold the Fn key and press F9. The combination Fn-F9 locks and unlocks the touchpad. If pressing Fn-F9 once, twice, thrice does not seem to lock/unlock your touchpad.. then you might not have the Toshiba hotkeys working or enabled. So lets forget it and try step 2. If Fn-F9 solved your problem.. there you go !

Arrow The way it works is you have to keep holding Fn key and have to hit F9 once, that should lock the touchpad. Again if you keep holding Fn and hit F9 again, that should unlock it and so on..

2. Sometimes this solves the problem.. Do a power cycle of your computer.. i.e., unplug the AC.. take the battery out.. Plug the AC back in and try to turn computer ON with AC alone (i.e, leave the battery out and just start computer with AC power).. Once windows loads up and everything is fine, then turn system off. Unplug AC.. put battery back in.. Plug AC back in and restart computer.. All should be working now.. if not, keep reading..

3. Click on START>go to RUN>type devmgmt.msc

4. Now in the Device Manager, click on the + sign next to Mice and other pointing devices. Right click on each device listed under "Mice and other pointing devices" and Uninstall ALL the MOUSE Devices you see listed there..

attention Make sure you ONLY uninstall the Mouse devices and not ALL devices from Device Manager like your CD, Display etc.. Just uninstall the devices listed under Mice and Other pointing devices after you have clicked on the + sign to the left of it..

5. Go to http://support.toshiba.com there click on Downloads.. select your computer.. Product=Portable, Family=Satellite, Model=M35X-S149.. then click on "GO" button on the right.. Again in the next page that comes up click on "Downloads"..

6. In the page that came up saying Downloads ( All operating systems, All categories ), at the top drop the list Filter by Operating System and select Windows XP (I am assuming you have XP.. if you have another OS, select that instead).. then on the right of it, drop the list Filter by Category and select Touchpad.. then click on the button "Apply Filters"..

7. Now you just see two drivers listed..

09-30-2004 Toshiba Utility
Touchpad Toshiba Touchpad Enable/Disable Utility for Windows XP (v1.27.0.3; 09-24-2004; 5.34M)

06-15-2004 Driver
Touchpad Alps Touchpad Driver for Windows XP/2000 (v6.0.303.5; 05-26-2004; 2.43M)

Click on the Download link on the right.. Save them to your computer somewhere in a folder or desktop, where you can remember.. After the files are downloaded, double-click on the file.. Unzip.. then Run.. and it will install the driver..

8. Restart your computer.. Now the Touchpad should be working fine.. Try Fn-F9 combination.. i.e, keep holding Fn key and tap F9 once, twice to see if it locks/unlocks the touchpad..

If above doesnt solve it, then please post any errors that you get and I will see if we need to try something else.

Source:

Google search
  • 10
    1
  • 3 comments

Other Answers (11)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Linda answered 6 months ago
    On the Toshiba satellite with 8.1 windows, you only need to tap f5, no need for the FN key. This should unlock your touchpad. Make sure the scroll lock is not on, the scroll key is not needed anymore. I just went thru several hours of research on my iPhone to figure this out. Toshiba satellite c50-a series laptops.
    • 7
      0
    • 1 comment
  • Richard answered 5 months ago
    I held down the FN key and taped the F5 key and it worked.
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • TobyJ answered 12 months ago
    Fn-F9 combo worked like a charm, cuz I did the same exact thing!
    • 1
      1
    • Comment
  • haftalaugh answered 2 days ago
    My touchpad will not unlock using this method. I am running 8.1. Any other suggestions?
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • 7 answers hidden
  • DBC answered 3 months ago
    I had to use step #2. Thank you for this comprehensive list of to-do's. Much appreciated.
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • bill answered 1 year ago
    Your answer worked perfectly to use the A/C, etc. Thanks a bunch !
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • KarlaC answered 1 year ago
    i just pressed F5 and that worked
    • 25
      0
    • 1 comment
  • Karol answered 1 year ago
    help get touchpad back
    • 0
      2
    • Comment
  • Courtney answered 7 months ago
    the hell this dosnt work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • Toshiba mouse pad locked, How do I unlock it?
    I accidently locked the mouse pad thing on my bro's laptop and I need to unlock it before my bro kicks my ***

On the My Controls, and the mouse settings, it's only for the mouse pointer, how do I unlock this mouse pad thing??
    Sign In 

to add your answer

• aj answered 4 months ago
    thanks guys! really helped me
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • Tódor answered 3 weeks ago
    thanks! you really saved me :))))
    • 0
      0
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock