Da Boys asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Who is the best defensive tackle in NFL history?

I am 27 and I know players like Bob Llilly, Joe Greane, Deacon Jones and Carl Eller. Watch classic games, highlights and do research. I think there were players greater than Warren Sapp in the modern era.

• Bevo
    Favorite Answer

There is no question it was Bob Lilly. He was consistently double and triple teamed, yet he was still able to make plays. It amazes me all the answers you are getting from people that don't know anything further back than Warren Sapp. Warren Sapp was good, but he's not even in the top 10 all-time.

Tie between Mean Joe Greene and Warren Sapp

Source(s): BEST ANSWER PLEASE!

Warren Sapp

I would have to say Mean Joe Greene, he was the cornerstone to the Steelers " Steel Curtain" back in the 70's. 10 time pro bowler, 4 super bowl rings, won the defensive player of the year a couple times.

Bob Lilly- no question!

Sporting News- Greatest defensive tackle ever.

Ranked #10 on all-time greatest football players list (the highest ranked defensive lineman, and only behind Butkus and L.T. as the third best defensive player ever!)

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lilly P.S. Randy White was just behind Lilly. Then I go Lee Roy Selmon, Alan Page, Merlin Olsen, and Joe Greene. When will you bozos realize that Joe Greene though great is probably the most overrated defensive player ever?

99 Warren Sapp back in his prime with the tampa bay buccaneers. He had a motor that never stopped and he really knew what he was doing. Very atheletic for 300 pounds even played a litttle tight end.

This is a tough one..im only 24yrs old so i never saw Joe Greene, or Deacon jones....best id seen was John Randle

"Mean" Joe Greene. He was considered one the best players on the greatest defense ever.

warren sapp

"Mean" Joe Green or Bob Lilly

Source(s): Green is in the HOF and was the center piece of the Steel Curtain defense. Lilly is considered the best all around defensive lineman in NFL history.