Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Da Boys asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Who is the best defensive tackle in NFL history?

Update:

I am 27 and I know players like Bob Llilly, Joe Greane, Deacon Jones and Carl Eller. Watch classic games, highlights and do research. I think there were players greater than Warren Sapp in the modern era.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Bevo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no question it was Bob Lilly. He was consistently double and triple teamed, yet he was still able to make plays. It amazes me all the answers you are getting from people that don't know anything further back than Warren Sapp. Warren Sapp was good, but he's not even in the top 10 all-time.

• 1 decade ago

Tie between Mean Joe Greene and Warren Sapp

Source(s): BEST ANSWER PLEASE!
  • 1 decade ago

Warren Sapp

• 5 years ago

I would have to say Mean Joe Greene, he was the cornerstone to the Steelers " Steel Curtain" back in the 70's. 10 time pro bowler, 4 super bowl rings, won the defensive player of the year a couple times.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bob Lilly- no question!

Sporting News- Greatest defensive tackle ever.

Ranked #10 on all-time greatest football players list (the highest ranked defensive lineman, and only behind Butkus and L.T. as the third best defensive player ever!)

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lilly P.S. Randy White was just behind Lilly. Then I go Lee Roy Selmon, Alan Page, Merlin Olsen, and Joe Greene. When will you bozos realize that Joe Greene though great is probably the most overrated defensive player ever?
  • 1 decade ago

99 Warren Sapp back in his prime with the tampa bay buccaneers. He had a motor that never stopped and he really knew what he was doing. Very atheletic for 300 pounds even played a litttle tight end.

• 1 decade ago

This is a tough one..im only 24yrs old so i never saw Joe Greene, or Deacon jones....best id seen was John Randle

• 1 decade ago

"Mean" Joe Greene. He was considered one the best players on the greatest defense ever.

• 1 decade ago

warren sapp

• 1 decade ago

"Mean" Joe Green or Bob Lilly

Source(s): Green is in the HOF and was the center piece of the Steel Curtain defense. Lilly is considered the best all around defensive lineman in NFL history.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.