Are pirates actually real?

Me and my brother are just wondering if pirates were real and lived? And when did they live? And some more info

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pirates are very real, and have been around ever since the dawn of travel by water, as early as 3500 BC believe it or not. Ancient pirates around during the rise of Egyptian days were known as the Sea Peoples. But even today pirates still exist, theyre just not ur typical eye patch wooden leg pirates, pirates are just mariners who enjoy stealing from other ships. Just two days ago, pirates from somalia, hijacked a US ship actually, so theyre very real, but theres nothing for you to be afraid of, the US coast gaurd doesnt let pirates sail remotely close to our borders!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Although the picture that stories paint of pirates are the seamen of the 16th Century up to the 18th Century, pirates have been around since the first boats were dreamed up in the prehistoric times. They are real people and yes, there are many pirates around today.

By the way, pirates are thieves on a grander scale. They work in teams and not just on boats anymore. People that steal music and movies online today are pirates.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it seems pirates have been there as early as 13 century BC... of course some tales are mythical but pirates' existence are true. Now there are modern pirates like the recent pirates of somalia...

• 1 decade ago

Pirates, or corsars, or the gentlemen of luck were real, and were in fact subsadized by their corresponding countries, since piracy was a way of say British Empire keep their naval control on the seas as well as get rid of their rivals, such as Spain. The profits brought about by piracy were immense.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes, did you see on the news that a ship was taken over by pirates out at sea, i wouldn't want to meet up with them but they do come in this time period as well. i don't know how or what the definition of one is though.

Source(s): me
  • Soma
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes, i just read this article on yahoo actually. it said that a captain of a ship was captured by pirates and he escaped but the pirates went after him and caught him again. not the gov. is trying to see what they want.

• 1 decade ago

The definition of a pirate is:

One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation.

Yes they certainly were real before and still are today :)

Source(s): www.thefreedictionary.com
  • 1 decade ago

yeah there real.

alot of pirates are somalian pirates.

they take over ships they come across and hold them for ransom money.

in fact the other day some somalian pirates caught an american ship for the first time and took it over. but then the americans took it back.

• 1 decade ago

have you seen the news lately every day Somali pirates are taking people and ships hostage last month a huge ransom was paid for an oil tanker they had

• 1 decade ago

Of course priates were real!

they still live today too

though they thrived back in the 1700s and 1800s

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.