LPSR! CM Parka asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

Do some wrestling fans expect too much too soon from younger/new wrestlers?

I see it a lot, "(name) is so talented he should be a main eventer" but is really that simple?

Look at Umaga, great potential to main event but pushed too fast and the fans didn't get into the idea of him as a main eventer, that's just my opinion used as an example.

So do you think just being a talented wrestler is enough to main event right away or do you think some fans really expect too much too soon and don't let a wrestler really grow into a main event star? Feel free to use any example you like to explain your answer.

BQ: how long does a wrestler need to establish them self before a main event push?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

YES! This generation's fans want instant gratification. They get that with satellite and cable TV, and the internet, email, chat rooms, text messaging, etc. They have short attention spans, very little patience, and are bored very easily.

Being a successful main eventer in a huge company like the WWE (and TNA, as well) is extremely difficult. The pressure is incredible. Not only do you need the in-ring abililty, but you have to connect with the fans (either as a credible and believable heel or as a credible and believable face), and you have to be able to speak to large groups of people hanging on your every word. There are no "CUT! Let's try it again" retakes. They have to get it right, every time. Those groups of people are looking for you to screw up. They WANT you to fail (whether or not they will admit it). You have to prove to them that you ARE worthy of their attention and emotions, of being a main eventer. You can't just walk out there with a "cool" gimmick and be an instant success. Most wrestlers (in the WWE, at least) who get that main event push don't last long at that level, even experienced veterans. The real main eventers (Edge, Triple H, Cena, Kurt Angle, Booker T, etc.), the ones who have proven they have what it takes to "carry" an event, a show, even a promotion, get picked apart by the fans.

A great example is Kozlov. A 300-pounder who has a lot of wrestling skills, but not a "flashy" gimmick. Deemed "unworthy" of main events by a large portion of the wrestling fans, he is crucified by his detractors who never gave him a chance. As soon as he got to the Triple H / Undertaker level the fans lit into him without giving him a chance to learn from the main eventers, after engaging in months of squash matches. Wrestling the main eventers, his weaknesses were exposed, and the fans just wrote him off as a "botcher", never giving him a chance to improve.

Evan Bourne. A spectacular cruiserweight; most fans want him in main events and championship pictures. Realistically, though, he's too small to be a believable World Champion. Rey Mysterio has a lot of fans. Rey is a spectacular cruiserweight, as well, but few consider it believable that he can regularly beat guys 100+ pounds larger than he.

BQ: There is no set time frame. A wrestler has to have "it", that intangible something that sets him apart. Randy Orton has "it", John Cena, as well. It took Jeff Hardy a decade to get there, Matt Hardy still isn't there. The Undertaker was a main eventer almost from day one. Hulk Hogan WAS a main eventer from day one.

For some, it's finding the right gimmick. Steve Austin and Rocky Maivia are two prime examples. Chris Jericho and Mick Foley are, as well. They were all potential superstar main eventers who just needed the right gimmick.

• I think that some fans really do ask for too much whether it's a returning superstar or a new superstar who has great potential and ability.

I agree Umaga Kozlov and Chris Jericho were pushed too hard in the main event when they Umaga and Kozlov started and in Jericho's case returned. I noticed that if a superstar gets pushed to the main event too fast once they lose they either become a mid carder or a jobber to the other superstars.

I think some superstars can actually hang with the main event right now such as CM Punk Shelton Benjamin MVP John Morrison and possibly Mr. Kennedy. I do think though that fans shouldn't be asking for pushes too early on some of these newer superstars. Although they are talented they should be pushed to the main event gradually not pushed down our throats which will only get the superstar hated.

BQ: In my opinion the younger/newer wrestlers should explore much of the mid card level and slowly gain experience and get pushed gradually. If wwe does that the superstar would gain popularity and credit as he goes up into the main event. Fans would also be more excited if they finally achieved the main event and the newer superstars won't be disliked as much because they reached through hard work instead of just getting straight into the main event getting shoved down our throat.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good question. Umaga already was a main eventer before that injury. I'll use a prime example. John Morrison. This young man has the charisma and the ring ability to compete with the biggest stars. Ya know what I'm sick of with certain wrestlers? Not just Morrison. Many wrestlers. Remember when Triple H had that "Triple Jeopardy" thing going on? Well, in his first match the music hits and Morrison comes out. And people say, oh you know he's going to lose because he's going against Triple H. That losing "aura" needs to be tossed out the window. But, in two to four years time, that will be over with.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This generation of wrestling fans wants everything to be fast paced they have the attention span of a rodent. Just being a talented wrestler is not enough to be in the main event you have to pay your dues and work your way up the ladder in order to be taking seriously.

BQ: I think that a wrestler needs to at least wrestle two or three years before they're thrust into the main event scene that way they gain the experience needed to succeed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Let me put it this way it took Edge about 7 years in the mid-card before he became World Champion......it took Jeff Hardy about 8 years in the WWE before they gave him the belt. That's the way it is and the way it should be. The old way of pushing talent was start them out in a tag team, then give the a run as IC champion, then if they deserve it make them World Champion. That was the career path for Bret Hart, HBK, Edge, Hardy, and it the best way to see if the wrestler draws enough fan reaction to see if they deserve the #1 main event spot.

• 1 decade ago

I do think some wrestling fans don't let some of the younger/newer wrestlers time to develop. A wrestler that has only been wrestling for 2 or 3 years needs to be given time while he improves in the ring and finds his wrestling persona.

This is mostly due to lack of wrestlers being able to work in territories or indies. Now there a more indies now then some years back, so it's better today. But also, especially in the WWE, they usually bring their wrestlers in from FCW now. Those could be wrestlers that have been wrestling maybe 2 years that get brought up, and the fans expect them to be an instant star...it very rarely happens that way though. Time and development makes stars.

Take Steve Austin for example. He was wrestling since 1989 in WCCW, which then evolved into the USWA, it wasn't until sometime in 1996 that he found his character and it wasn't until about 1997 that his popularity really started to rise. That is 8 years after he started wrestling. Of course he had other places to work in, like WCCW, then the USWA then WCW, before the WWF and Vince finally gave him a shot, even then he still needed about a year to be able to find himself in character. So you have to give a wrestler time, you might not like him at the moment but might like him after they develop.

It's also in part Vince's fault, since he tried to wipe out his competition basically, killing off companies that were territories, fending off WCW and ECW..and for a while there it was just the WWE...then TNA, now there's ROH also plus a few more good indies that are popping up. So at least wrestlers are starting to have more options now to wrestle and develop before making a jump to the WWE.

While before it was possible for a wrestler to develop elsewhere, for a few years, then when he was finally brought into the WWE he was already good at his character and was good in the ring...lately the wrestlers haven't had those options to develop elsewhere as much. But with the more indies that pop up the more that can change...in the mean time, time is needed to give a wrestler a chance to develop and become a star.

• 1 decade ago

unfortunately, talent is not enough. you need mic skills. and fan support. and i think that its because fans (mostly kids and smarks) DON'T expect too much of some wrestlers of great talent (such as Shelton Benjamin, John Morrison etc) therefore wwe wont put these wrestlers in the main event spots

BQ: longer than brock lesnar did. I dont why people thought he was so great.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah i agree with you to some point,,it all depends on how popular they are with the fans and how talented they are. Take Evan Bourne for example hes a very talented wrestler and a fan favorite when hes in the ring so he deserves a push. Its not that fans expect it, but that they would love to see their favorites in a title picture or a maineventer.

• 1 decade ago

Good question... I think some fans do expect a bit too much but so does WWE... WWE can make any wrestler a champion if they want too...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes we do exect more but WWE is in charge of it so they can do what they want. but some wrestlers have to improve and some wrestlers just come talented

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.